Wiring 130V DC from AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff vogt

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Needing some help up here in Alaska to hook up motor to wheat grinder.
Have a small 130V DC Bodine Gear Drive motor. Model 192. Only pulls .3 Amps, for a wattage of 39.
Need to put a rectifier, capacitor and in-line fuse in place to convert the AC to operate this DC motor. Have read some posts, but not clear enough for me to understand.
I know a person can buy an off-the-shelf controller for about $100. But I am hoping I can just add these parts to get it to run (for about $10-$15).
Problem is I am not sure of the exact parts needed.
Rectifier I need (a 130V .3A) is not anywhere to be found.
Bridge rectifier - Our small RS has a bunch of rectifiers/bridge rectifiers, and most appear to be “over-rated” ex: 200V 25A, 200V 50A, 600V 25A. Is it OK to use one of these as it is “over-built”?
For the capacitor, are their different types? A 10uf be OK?
For fuses, most at RS seem to be 50 Volts rated…OK to use an in-line fuse with 200V and 1 amp?
I can build a house, but electronics is greek to me...
Thx a bunch

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Bridge rectifier - Our small RS has a bunch of rectifiers/bridge rectifiers, and most appear to be “over-rated” ex: 200V 25A, 200V 50A, 600V 25A. Is it OK to use one of these as it is “over-built”?
It is absolutely OK to use an "over-rated" rectifier. Problem: Fully rectified AC is ~170V DC. This might be OK for your motor, or it might not. I'd be a bit nervous. And if you want control you'll need something more anyway.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A ghetto solution would be to place a light bulb in series with your motor. On paper a low wattage bulb (12W) would drop the voltage from 170 to 130. You could experiment with bulbs from 7-20W or so, and see what happens at the motor.

I'd use a capacitor filter as well. I haven't done the math, but I think you'd want at least 1000µF electrolytic in parallel with the rectifier DC poles, with a voltage rating of 200V or more.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Full wave rectifier only is fine, this is no different than running a SCR drive, you will only get 90v on 120vac but usually it runs those Bodine motors fine.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Not a resistive load.
Just as a capacitor input filter increases the voltage above rms. A choke input reduces voltage below rms.

That's my understanding. I didn't look it up.:p

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you were to check out the Terms of Service found at the bottom of the page you will find that there are restrictions on discussion of certain topics. Transformer-less power supplies is one such topic.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
In order to continue with this discussion a AC mains transformer would have to be incorporated into your design.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I've no dog in this fight.:D

Technically you may be totally correct.

In my opinion, a dc motor connected thru rectifier only, with no other components, could easily be thought of the same as any other "how do I connect this motor" question.

It may be a good place to draw a line in the sand.

If not, backing up one step, and explaining a proper dc motor connection method, with an isolation transformer, is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.