wires / cables use in ECG circuit

faisy

Joined Oct 4, 2005
dear all

I am working on making ECG machine (3 lead). Would anyone let me know the type of cable or wires should use in making this device on breadboard or for PCB.

If there should be any special wire rather than normally used copper, then please mention its name.

What i should prefer for shielding purpose??

Please help me i need your help in this regard

GOD bless You.

Regards
Faisal

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Using coax for shielding should work. RG-174 is a convenient size. The lead wires don't have much effect on the PCB circuit.

faisy

Joined Oct 4, 2005
Is this wire still suitable if i work on simple breadboard ?? remember I want to use it in replace of connecting wires (coper wires).

Q2: What type of electrodes should i use ?? removable (one time use) or any other plz mention the name if any suitable and low cost.

Thanks alot

Regards

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
trash in = trash out.

If you use cheap or home-made electrodes, you will not get the sensitivity of manufactured ones. Cheaper ones also pick up more noise.

They are quite cheap now a days. You can get a box of 250 for under $100. (At least you used to)

Check around at hospital pharmacies. Some people use these along with cpap for apnea, and they are available over the counter.

And you can use RG-174 with a breadboard, but you may need to make a simple adapter. You should use BNC connectors to make them easy-on, easy-off without much movement which can cause damage to cheaper RG-174.

You can also use simple CAT-5 cable. The twisted pair will help with noise, and you can get shielded versions. That will make for a smaller cable.

For electrodes, here you go....30 for $6.99us
http://www.mohawkmedicalmall.com/Merchant2/PROD.php?Product_Code=G/C 31078135A

or a box of 1000 for $74.75us
http://www.allegromedical.com/elect...64468&CS_010=ff8081811c34c2bf011c8b0eb8b15036

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I agree, homemade electrodes are crap, and will only give noise out. Also a tip. Gel electrodes will very quickly dry out. They should always be stored in a a small airtight container. The best thing is a plastic bag that you can squeeze out air from, before seeling