Wireless VPN router

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
I want to setup a home network that is VPN capable. I've been doing some reading and it seems the easiest way is to get a router that is VPN capable. DrayTek and ZyXEL routers seem to be good choices from other user reviews. My main problem is I will be using Mac and Linux laptops when I travel and I don't want to have to install or worry about VPN client software. Basically I want to be able to connect to my home VPN network without relying on 3rd party software. Do you have any routers in mind? My 2nd question is how does the login information remain secure during the initial handshake since the login information is passed through the network unencrypted, from what I understand. I'm obsessed with network security and don't want to allow any kind of "man in the middle" attacks. :) Let me know if you have any advice.

edit: Looks like I found part of what I was looking for. In the OS X VPN settings, there is a shared secret setting, which would relieve my concerns, I just don't know which VPN routers would support the shared secret.

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
What you want is not possible. VPN, by it's very nature, requires encryption and hence a client that can encrypt and decrypt the data. There are lots of way to skin this cat, but they all require running client software.

Why do you object to running a client app?

BTW, the initial negotiation between the client and server does not carry unencrypted login information.

mjhilger

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Check out the DD-WRT software; this is free third party software developed in an open source that extends the capability of many low cost routers [like the linksys wrt54g - which has sold probably 8 million units, but works with many]. It has the VPN connectivity and you could carry a low cost router with you to either act as a (wireless) bridge or VPN enabled router connecting back to your home network. I have used a netgear VPN capable router with software (had to purchase) on my notebook to connect remotely to my office, but the router path is cheaper.

There is a wiki on the site as well as forums that can answer many questions you might have. This software can make a $30 router function as a high $ cisco.

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Check out the DD-WRT software; this is free third party software developed in an open source that extends the capability of many low cost routers [like the linksys wrt54g - which has sold probably 8 million units, but works with many]. It has the VPN connectivity and you could carry a low cost router with you to either act as a (wireless) bridge or VPN enabled router connecting back to your home network. I have used a netgear VPN capable router with software (had to purchase) on my notebook to connect remotely to my office, but the router path is cheaper.

There is a wiki on the site as well as forums that can answer many questions you might have. This software can make a $30 router function as a high $ cisco.
Thanks, I actually heard about DD-WRT while doing some research. I decided to get a Firewall FVG318 refurbished version from Amazon for about $50. I heard from someone that you can use the standard VPN client built into OS X to connect to it. It also supports DDNS and QoS. Luckily the refurbished version was version2, so I updated it to the latest firmware version.

The router is asking for a remote endpoint IP address, but I will be logging in from different IP addresses so I don't know how to set this.