Wireless Switch/AltimeterSwitch/Acoustic Switch

Pdoe

Joined Aug 15, 2012
My son and i are working on a project that he is interested in doing. Kind of a father and son thing--but actually more of a son and father thing. He would like to have a magnetic latch open at about 100 feet away from the transmitter. so as long as he is within 100 feet of the transmitter it remains locked. However once you break the 100 foot barrier-give or take a foot the latch opens. In other words he would like to have the latch automatically open(release) once it is out of range. We know we do not want to use IR.We have looked at simple kill switches and some radio controlled switches and have not found something small and simple to build. Any ideas would be great-We are amateurs-- well actually i am the amateur and he has some experience from various projects i had purchased when he was younger. Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Commercial wireless pet fences employ this same technology. If the pet gets outside its geofence area, its collar reminds it to stay closer.

The technology challenge for a DIYer is to reliably and securely detect signal strength.