Wireless remote control outlet

Imaginata

Joined May 18, 2024
Hi I had this idea, problem is I don't understand electronics. I want to have a remote switch but I want to turn it on with current rather than a contact switch. IMG_20240518_143940.jpgIMG_20240518_145741.jpgIMG_20240518_145810.jpg
So I bought a Wireless remote control outlet and a miniature power relay.
The idea is to connect the power relay to the micro switch inside the switch part of the wireless remote Control outlet, so that when power is sent to the power relay it turns on the remote control outlet which in turn, turns on a remote appliance wirelesly. Problem is when I opened the Wireless Remote Switch I found not one but two microswitches, one K1 that turns the remote switch on, and another K2 that turns the remote switch of.
So is what I'm trying to do possible with what I bought? .

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, it's possible but you will need a bunch more components. Using what you have the first step is figuring out how your two push button switches are configured or simply put what they do and how they do it. This is done by measuring across each switch when the unit is powered but starting while the unit is OFF. Purely a guess on my part but see if the switches have a common side using an ohmmeter. If they share a common side next see if the common sides go to ground? Next when powered up see if when you measure across each switch for a voltage, typically a low DC voltage like 5.0 volts.

I have no idea what you mean when you mention:
I want to have a remote switch but I want to turn it on with current rather than a contact switch.
Try and better explain your goal? In detail,

Ron

Imaginata

Joined May 18, 2024
Thanks for the advice, will try. What I mean is: As I understand the function of the relay I have, is to close or open a circuit, or as I would say, unite or disunited a wire, when electricity passes through it. So in my case, by setting the relay on the cable that switches the light on, the relay can activate the remote when I switch the light on.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, I thought when you referred to current what you had in mind was not really current control. Anyway if you can try some of what I suggested it would be a good start. Your choice of a wireless relay could have been better.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What I see is having a wired power relay controlling an outlet. So why any part needs to be wireless?? Why not just a wired connection control for a plug-in box with an outlet?? That will cost much less, be more long-lasting, and probably much better quality. It does not seem like "wireless" needs to be any part of the project.
You can easily have a low voltage control scheme as well, if that is a goal.
A description of what the system needs to do, instead of a description of a plan that did not work, can result in one of the large group of smart, educated, and experienced folks here suggesting exactly the right solution.

Imaginata

Joined May 18, 2024
Ok. Thanks everyone.
Here I'll try to describe the entire situation :
I am equipping 11 bathrooms for a small hotel with ventilation fans, I have an electrician doing the job.
10 bathrooms are ready. I decided to minimise sound emissions from the fans by installing them all in the atic, where there is also more room.
All ventilation pipes go from bathrooms on ground and firs floor to the atic and out through the roof. Because I did not originally plan on having the fans in the atic, I did not install cabling for them from bathrooms to fans, in some casas the bathrooms are possibly over 10 meters away from their fans. What we did was to pass the properly protected cabling from the ventilation fans through the vent pipes to the light switches in each corresponding bathroom. It worked very well in all but one bathroom, the electrician tried in vain for hours to pass the cabling through the vent pipe from the fan on the atic to the last bathroom, but the distance was to long and too many bends. He did manage half way. So we have the wiring from the fan in the atic coming down through the pipe to the firs floor, half way to the bathroom, the bathroom is on the ground floor. We installed a power outlet by the pipe where the cabling ends. The original idea is simply to install the remote switch on the wall of the bathroom and the wireless receiving part in the first floor where we managed to bring the wire through the vent pipe to turn on the fan. This will work. But it will be the only bathroom where the fan will not be turned on with the light switch, but with a separate wall mounted switch. A not very elegant solution and guests will probably forget to switch the fan off. So this gave rise to my idea. Install the mini relay and the remote switch circuitry inside the bathroom lamp. So that when the light is switched on the remote sends it's signal to the power switch in the first floor which in turn turns on the fan in the atic through its cable that goes through the vent pipe.

Imaginata

Joined May 18, 2024
All hotel wiring is inside the walls, that very messy stage of renovation is long ago finished, I definitely don't want to brake walls to install wire at this stage nor do I want any visible wiring.

ulms

Joined Mar 19, 2024
All hotel wiring is inside the walls, that very messy stage of renovation is long ago finished, I definitely don't want to brake walls to install wire at this stage nor do I want any visible wiring.
My dear brother, you have an obligation to those guests. Do this right or you will pay dearly.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To get the wiring fished thru the vent pipe use a vacuum cleaner suction to pull a string with a small bit of paper tired to the end thru the vent pipe. Then the string can pull a thin rope, and the thin rope can pull the electrician's "fish tape" thru to pull the wires. An industrial "shop vacuum" can do it very well.