Wireless doorbell questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I bought this wireless doorbell receiver at the thrift store for 50 cents; there was no transmitter with it. It is a Heath Model SL-6166-RX-A.

As you can see, it is powered by 117 VAC, and doesn't appear to be damaged. Does anyone here know anything about it? For example, what frequency does it operate on? Is it AM, FM, or something else? I know that the header pins are used to mate it up with a transmitter, but what is the signalling scheme?

Any insight would be appreciated. A schematic would be wonderful.

Thanks.

ETA: The two transistors nearest the tuning coil are MPSH10, and the DIP8 is an LM358N.

Attachments

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here is a closer photo; I have rotated the photo to make the component ID's easier to read. I think the PS supply is at the bottom right, the RF section at the top right, and the AF section at the top left. The small green PCB in the center has a "blob" on it, which I assume is some sort of microcontroller.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Too bad. You really need to look into the transmitter. The xtal will tell you the frequency (assuming there is a crystal).

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Too bad. You really need to look into the transmitter. The xtal will tell you the frequency (assuming there is a crystal).
The transmitter is built into a doorbell button housing. I can buy a new one for this receiver at the orange big box store, but it's $8.99, and I am cheap, cheap, cheap.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
So what do you plan on doing with the receiver without a transmitter?
So far, I am just asking dumb questions. :D

Seriously, I just bought it to try to learn something about it. I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for more than 40 years (lots of it inactive,) so anything RF intrigues me. The thought of building a transmitter for it has crossed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.