Wire Wrap Tools\Supplies

bob800

Joined Dec 10, 2011
What does "Leaded Process" mean in terms of wire-wrap tools? I've found an inexpensive source of an OK Industries gun, but it says that it is not "Leaded Process Compatible": http://www.newark.com/ok-industries/ptx-1bf/wire-wrap-gun-18awg/dp/96C2377?Ntt=wire+wrap+ptx-1bf

Also, has anyone found a cheap source of pre-stripped wire-wrap wire? I've found some on ebay and digikey, but they're all (a) extremely overpriced or (b) a certain length is sold in large quantity. Ideally, I would like an assortment of various lengths\colors sold in one package.... but perhaps this is asking for too much??:confused:

The sockets aren't too hard to find, but if anyone knows of an especially cheap source, I would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks,

bob800

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Those are details that need not concern you if using this tool for its intended purpose.

leaded compatible: no
reflow compatible: no

refer to PCB and soldering applications, which plenty of their products concern. Just not this one ;)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
While I haven't done wire wrap in decades I used spools of wire. Look into the process OK or Jonard calls cut-strip-wrap (KSR) where you put the end of the wire into the bit and the tool cuts it to length, strips it, then wraps it. One spool of wire and off you go.