wire size

barw

Joined Jan 2, 2012
I would like to have 200 amp service to my new shop 300 feet direct buried
from the power pole.I live in Sask.Canada.
What size and type of wire do I need.
Thanks Barry
PS. 240 volt service

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
2/0 AWG is appropriate for 200 amp service, but for distances of hundreds of feet that will probably need to be upped to 4/0 or 3/0 minimum. Voltage drop under load(due to current flow) will determine what gauge wire is minimum for the distance involved. An AC service company could answer that question best. a price of a dollar or two per foot should be considered normal just for the copper wire.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Just look it up in the Canadian Electrical Code at a library. While 2 AWG copper is good for 200A in runs less than 100', you'll need something larger for 300'. Larger wire means a lower gauge number in the AWG system. Kermit had his gauge numbers backward. While you're consulting the code, you may want to make sure DB is allowed.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Multiple runs of "standard" wire at 40@each, or a single run of very expensive wire.

Though the best choice may be having the electric company pull another transformer tap off and run it directly to your shop with a separate meter.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I would like to have 200 amp service to my new shop 300 feet direct buried
from the power pole.I live in Sask.Canada.
What size and type of wire do I need.
Thanks Barry
PS. 240 volt service
there's a bunch of them, but a Teck90, RWU90, NMWU should do. A 3/0 awg will keep you above 5% drop at the 200amp for a service (80% of overcurrent devices minimum still at the 3/0). Pull it as a sub and you'll be up to the 4/0 to maintian a 3% drop. Don't hesitate to call your local inspector for confirmation. Standata can service particular areas with special needs.

Where abouts are you in Sask. I hail from Saskatoon.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I suppose a reasonable thing to ask is how often you'll be drawing the full 200 amps. If the answer is "only occasionally" then perhaps you should use whatever the minimum wire size is to prevent overheating, and live with some inefficiency. Most of the time, if the power draw is much less than 200 amps, the loss would be small. It's a question of "How long would it take to amortize the extra copper by savings of power?" Maybe the answer is "Too long to make it worth spending the money."

Of course, if the 200 amps is needed to run some piece of equipment where a lowered voltage would prevent it running at all, then you need the big wire and there isn't any room for argument.