Windows Paint vs Picture and Fax Viewer Question

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I really didn't want to post in this forum, since it is one I don't frequent myself much, but it seems the appropriate place to ask the question...

On this thread the gentleman posted an attachment, which I will attach on this post. I tried to upload the image in the zip file, but it was not recognized as a valid format (there is a clue there somewhere I think).

If I open the image using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (part of Window's XP package) I get a marvelously detailed image I can zoom up on quite nicely, the image is very well done. However, if I try to open it up with paint it comes out totally different, black background instead of white, with most of the detail lost. So what is the difference?

I view myself as a graphic type on this site, so this was an unpleasant surprise that could have good consequences for my education. Thanks.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am guessing it is an older version or at least a different flavor of jpg that plain vanilla Paint doesn't like. I replicated your results. You can invert the colors to get rid of the black background, but resolution is still miserable. Then tried a CS2 version of Photoshop. It would not open, and I got an error indicating it was the wrong file type. It did open in WordPerfect 11 with the same colors as in Fax Viewer but with a little less resolution.

WP11 dates back a few years, so maybe that has something to do with the compatibility.

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Same results.

I tried opening it with Photoshop 7; no go - even after trying a rather wide variety of different extensions.

Tried Graphics Workshop; didn't open it either. It's "Identify mystery file" function thought it was an MP3 format.

I'm running on Win XP Pro with MSIE 7.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I can open the picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
From there I can export it to BMP (other formats keep the black background in Paint)
In Paint I saved it as PNG.

I can also import the picture into Open Office 3.0 Draw.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is something different about the format, I'm trying to figure out what it is. The schematic isn't really important, except it points to the problem.

I'm also wondering if it is something other than pixel related, such as a vector system.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think the picture has no background color.
In some programs "no backgound color" is interpreted as black.
This will produce a very black picture.

Greetings,
Bertus

PIC_User

Joined Sep 22, 2008
I tried opening it with the “IrfanView” it gave this info:
Warning!
The file ..path.../dc ac.jpg is a WMF file with incorrect extension !
Rename? [yes] [no]

I chose [no] (to not alter the extension) and it opened as a WMF with white background and good resolution.
(edit Not as good resolution as Microsoft Office Picture Manager method.)

BTW: “IrfanView” is freeware and very handy.

-Adam-

Last edited:

jeka616

Joined Jan 14, 2009
Wow. Guys, didn't realize that this will be so much of a mystery..here is what I've done..

As you probably realized, I made this schematics in ProLite ISIS, (free on the web btw). The here is the sequence:

1) File- export graphics-export metafile-tick "colour output" and untick "erase backgorund" - save file as "----" on desktop
2) It comes up with .emf extension, I just changed it to .jpg (just favour the name, not really using .emf a lot, but .jpg is well known)

3) When I tried to load it to thread, the file format wasn't recognized, as expected.

4) So I just zipped it.

It is best viewed with Fax Viewer.

Size iz acceptable for the web site, and resolution, as you realized.

All the best,

J

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are there any open source vector based graphic packages out there? I like Paint, but I've been bumping into it's limitations for years.