windows help

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
every time i double clicked any of my drives in my computer window it will not open up in the same window it will open in new window what can i do for this somebody please help me !
i already format my c drive and re installed my OS windows xp professional sp 2

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Open any folder. Look at the tool bar, and click "TOOLS". Click "FOLDER OPTIONS". Under the General tab, look at the BROWSE FOLDERS choices. Click the "OPEN EACH FOLDER IN ITS OWN WINDOW" choice. All there is to it.

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
Open any folder. Look at the tool bar, and click "TOOLS". Click "FOLDER OPTIONS". Under the General tab, look at the BROWSE FOLDERS choices. Click the "OPEN EACH FOLDER IN ITS OWN WINDOW" choice. All there is to it.

ya i did it but there is no change it happens only from this morning

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
again its the same type of virus like B4.
do a virus scan.
after that turn show hidden folders and show system files options ON.
(if u cant do this like b4 run that file...after extracting it..the same file..posted in previous discussion).
right after that open each dirve and delete the autorun and the file mentioned in the autorun.
reboot...

this is again one of those removable drives virus..that infects ur pc as soon as u double click it...
use this file(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) to remove the autoplay option.this shud prevent such virus from affecting ur pc.

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
again its the same type of virus like B4.
do a virus scan.
after that turn show hidden folders and show system files options ON.
(if u cant do this like b4 run that file...after extracting it..the same file..posted in previous discussion).
right after that open each dirve and delete the autorun and the file mentioned in the autorun.
reboot...

this is again one of those removable drives virus..that infects ur pc as soon as u double click it...
use this file(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) to remove the autoplay option.this shud prevent such virus from affecting ur pc.
Thanks Mr Recca i can't found any files named autorun in any drive even in hidden files but i saw AUTOEXEC.BAT file through command window and delete it .Now i have no such file still i m in same problem

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The AUTOEXEC.BAT file needs to be present, but may be blank in an XP system. It may be ok just to make a folder in the root directory named AUTOEXEC.BAT.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
In right click also i have the same problem it is also opens in new window
i meant if u right click on a drive, what are the first 3-4 options?
again just fir the sake of confirmation...can u see hidden and system files using folder option.
and did u make a virus scan using a antivirus..like avast?

i have seen countless problems like yours and everytime(unless the problem wasnt due to a change...like MR Beenthere suggested.) it was due to an autorun.ini and the file which this files asks to open ,both of which were generated by a virus.

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
i meant if u right click on a drive, what are the first 3-4 options?
again just fir the sake of confirmation...can u see hidden and system files using folder option.
and did u make a virus scan using a antivirus..like avast?

i have seen countless problems like yours and everytime(unless the problem wasnt due to a change...like MR Beenthere suggested.) it was due to an autorun.ini and the file which this files asks to open ,both of which were generated by a virus.
the first four options when i right click are open, explore , search .sharing and security...............

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the first four options when i right click are open, explore , search .sharing and security...............
this does not seem the problem which i thought it wud be.
had it been that, one of the option wud have been something fishy...like two open options, or one autoplay option.

in that case this seems to be some change in setting...
one last attempt..what are the hidden files that u can see in a drive after opening it?

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
this does not seem the problem which i thought it wud be.
had it been that, one of the option wud have been something fishy...like two open options, or one autoplay option.

in that case this seems to be some change in setting...
one last attempt..what are the hidden files that u can see in a drive after opening it?

Mr .Recca now i can't get hidden files through folder options i can get onle through advanced search options
but i m not getting anything new in hidden files other i manually hidden

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i can't get hidden files through folder options
it seems that this is indeed a virus infection..
i once again recommend a virus scan....make sure u have virus definitions updated.
if possible make a boot time scan

after which either use this or the previous file i attached to fix the folder option.
try to extract the file and then use...

then i think u shud be able to see hidden files when u open a drive.

then if u see auotrun.ini file delete it.

Attachments

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
it seems that this is indeed a virus infection..
i once again recommend a virus scan....make sure u have virus definitions updated.
if possible make a boot time scan

after which either use this or the previous file i attached to fix the folder option.
try to extract the file and then use...

then i think u shud be able to see hidden files when u open a drive.

then if u see auotrun.ini file delete it.

Thanks Mr.Recca i did boot time scan with avast.During boot time scan i knew that 50 of .dll and .exe files in D/system volume information /.........etc were affected by win 32 :trojen-gen and adware when tried to delete it during the boot scan i can't it gives error :the file in not packed

i can't delete any of the affected file .help me what can i do further

i extracted the above link u given and i use it but nothing has changed..