windows help

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
i've problem with windows folder i was unable 2 open windows drive by mouse click whenever i double click any of the drive it will displays open the choose the program u want to use to open with box appears help me

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
are u having problem with the drives (eg: c: , D: )??
if this is the case did it happen after a certain change was made?
maybe in that case this link might help u.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=5518

or are u having trouble with a certain file?
thanks for ur reply i m not having problems with files and folders in all drives

just i can't open it through mouse double click (all drives) but if i do right click there is no prob exists i can do explore,open ...etc

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
tell me, can u see the hidden files/folders.
if yes then do you see autorun.ini file after you open a drive?
if yes again i think ther is a good possibility that a virus has infected your PC.
go for a virus scan using antivirus..(i reccomend avast as it runs a scan at boot time).
after that delete all those autorun.ini files

if u cant see the hidden folders(u know how to turn that option ON, right?)
then again it is a virus..
do the same again...confirm this and i'll upload a file to you that will fix the settings that the virus messed up.

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
tell me, can u see the hidden files/folders.
if yes then do you see autorun.ini file after you open a drive?
if yes again i think ther is a good possibility that a virus has infected your PC.
go for a virus scan using antivirus..(i reccomend avast as it runs a scan at boot time).
after that delete all those autorun.ini files

if u cant see the hidden folders(u know how to turn that option ON, right?)
then again it is a virus..
do the same again...confirm this and i'll upload a file to you that will fix the settings that the virus messed up.
thanks for your reply

yes sir i installed avast and let boot time scan still i have the same problem

another thing i can't get hidden folders inside any drive through folder options i can able to get through only command window

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
attached is a zip file..
extract it and run it.

after that check if u can see hidden file or not.
also delete any autorun file that you find in a drive after that..
also try tu turn autorun/autoplay off for hdd and removable drives this is the possible reason for the infection.
also exit the above mentioned program afterwards or else it'll keep scanning till eternity.

P.S: admin/mod can move this to appropriate section.

Attachments

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Done, thanks recca.

Is this something that has only started recently? In other words could you open/access the said folders and files a short while back (say around a month). If so, have you considered a System Restore to a time when the problem did not occur? Your documents will not be affected, but anything you installed since then will be removed. If you are in doubt as to whether you want to keep files/folder after the restoration, put it in the My Documents folder (this will not work for installed software because System Restore restores the Registry stack).

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Done, thanks recca.
Actually it shud be the other way round, thanks Mr. Dave.

Is this something that has only started recently? In other words could you open/access the said folders and files a short while back (say around a month).
Dave
I think there is no problem with file/folder..perhaps just the drives do not open when double clicked...wud be better if Mr. Sharma can confirm this.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Actually it shud be the other way round, thanks Mr. Dave.
No problem :)

I think there is no problem with file/folder..perhaps just the drives do not open when double clicked...wud be better if Mr. Sharma can confirm this.
To quote the OP:

i've problem with windows folder i was unable 2 open windows drive by mouse click whenever i double click any of the drive it will displays open the choose the program u want to use to open with box appears help me
Yes clarification is needed. I would still recommend a System Restore eother way - it is always a first port of call in problems such as these.

Dave

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
attached is a zip file..
extract it and run it.

also try tu turn autorun/autoplay off for hdd and removable drives this is the possible reason for the infection.
also exit the above mentioned program afterwards or else it'll keep scanning till eternity.

thanks Mr .recca i will check it

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
attached is a zip file..
extract it and run it.

thanks Mr.recca now i can find the file autorun.ini but i can 't get it through folder options but i can get through command window .will u give me the option to delete it through command window ?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
did you extract and run that file?
if yes and if u are still not able to see the hidden files through the options..then maybe the virus wasnt removed.thus deleting autorun file now wont work since the virus regenerates it again and again.
in that case maybe you shud follow Mr. Dave's advice and restore the computer to an earlier time..
after that i think u'll be able to see the hidden files.

btw when u right click a drive what options do u see?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would recommend you do the System Restore to see if it works. You should have restore points for the last month or so (depending on your usage levels- restore points are automatically made every 10 hours of up-time). The problem is the longer you leave it, the more restore points are lost from the stack as it uses a "replace oldest first" method.

If you find the restoration has done nothing you can completely undo it. Its a shot to nothing that could very well fix your problem.

Dave

anshu

Joined Jan 9, 2008
attached is a zip file..
extract it and run it.

hi, i have tried to download & run the file
wimp.zip (17.8 KB, 2 views)
but it gives error
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe contains a invalid path.

i don know after that it work ornot. because i am still not able to see hidden files as well as drives are opening in new window.

Please help.

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
did you extract and run that file?
if yes and if u are still not able to see the hidden files through the options..then maybe the virus wasnt removed.thus deleting autorun file now wont work since the virus regenerates it again and again.
in that case maybe you shud follow Mr. Dave's advice and restore the computer to an earlier time..
after that i think u'll be able to see the hidden files.

btw when u right click a drive what options do u see?
thanks recca

whn i right click i get the usual options like open,xplore,sharing n security,format......
i do not have pronblem with that Mr. recca

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Mr Recca how can i place wimp.exe in start up
Create a shortcut of it by:

Right-click > Send to > Desktop(create shortcut)

Go to:

Start > All Programs > Start-up - right-click the Start-up folder and select Explore.

Copy the shortcut on the desktop into the Start-up folder.

Restart.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i recommend u to run that file only incase needed...else it'll keep scanning till eternity...(my
hd/pc gives strange noise at times when running it..this gives me the creep)

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
Create a shortcut of it by:

Right-click > Send to > Desktop(create shortcut)

Go to:

Start > All Programs > Start-up - right-click the Start-up folder and select Explore.

Copy the shortcut on the desktop into the Start-up folder.

Restart.

Dave
thanks Mr.Dave