Windows Colors

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have an odd problem with the color theme on my desktop.

The problem began a few months ago and happened so infrequently (maybe once every 50 to 100 cold boots) that I didn't pay much attention to it. I just rebooted and everything seemed to return to normal. Now it is happening more frequently and has become an annoyance.

PROBLEM: My preferred color theme is "Windows Classic." The screensaver and hibernate (etc.) settings are"none" or "never." When the problem occurs, the PC starts with Windows XP theme (blue bar at the bottom) and Windows XP screensaver is active. Hibernate settings stay "never."

As mentioned above, I used to be able to just reboot. More recently, I have had to go into Control Panel/Display to get the display back to how I want it.

SYSTEM: I am running XP Professional SP3 with RAID1. No new software that I know of has been added recently. The problem began after I installed the Open Office 3.2 word processor several months ago, which was the last piece of software I added, but any cause and effect is blurred by the infrequency of the problem when it originally started.

Any ideas what's causing it or how to fix?

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was thinking of some sort of malware. There used to be and may still be a malware that flashed a small, white rectangle with a message during start up to the Desktop. It did not seem to affect function at all and was removable by the MS malware removal tool. I don't recall what the message was. I am now getting a little flash on the screen, which could be the same thing, but it is much to fast to read or capture. I run Avast.

Your comment about viruses having anti-antivirus programs is interesting. It was only a matter of time.

I will try your suggestion later. That is, after I transfer some important files and when I won't need my computer for a day or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
MajorGeeks.com is a site that specialized in computer problems, and they've developed a set of protocols involving various software packages (keyed to the specific OS) to clean as much junk out as possible. As a backup they also have a discrete forum in the site (it's a VB site too) where only vetted helpers reply. Your thread in this particular forum is truly yours, you don't get responses from Joe Public there.

They also take quite a bit of pride in not spreading malware, they have a pretty extensive library of PD and shareware software. There is where you acquire many of the tools needed for the procedures.