Windows audio loopback?

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a microphone plugged into a laptop mic-jack and listen to one's own voice in real time besides having to record it first?

I need to run some audio tests on a laptop thru an Audio Precision. I know I can record a file then play it back, but I will have to run the AP in open-loop and set the external trigger. A bit of a pain.

If it is possible to use the AP as the generator itself through the mic-jack and loop it back through the headphone jack in real time, then I can set up the AP analyzer to track its own generator output (easier!).

Can Windows do this 'audio loopback' jazz?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Not that I'm aware. I think you have to record first, either through the Sound Recorder utility or through a 3rd party app like Audacity.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There are loopback programs available, but the loop goes the wrong way. They use the DAC to generate waveforms to play through the ADC to check frequency response.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If you have a software which records and another which plays the music you can do it but dont turn on the volume to much because you may destroy the sound card. The signal form a microphone is not very strong but the signal from the output of the laptop for the headphones is stronger to drive them so be careful not to destroy the sound card.