Wind Speed Measuring ( Hand Made and Easy ) ?

Rayzer

Joined Apr 16, 2012
Hi everybody :), i just registered "All About Circuits" for my project. Thanks for great opportunity. I need help about making simple Wind Sensor.

My project is umbrella will close when is wind speed is too much.

I wanna use 2 DC Engine in my project.

1st DC Engine: I want to make windrose on this DC Engine mill. ( Which DC engines is using in Toys)

2nd DC Engine: Which is closing umbrella. ( bigger then 1st DC Eng. and working with 12V )

When 1st DC Engine mill turn too much because of wind and more then 10 seconds. 2nd DC Motor will work for closing umbrella.

i attached image of diagram.

What can i use for communication of 1st DC and 2nd DC Engine. PIC or ?
Is there any easy way to catch wind?

I don't understand design of electronic of circuit. I can only make which is ready to make electronic circuits. :D

I'm sorry for my english, i hope i wrote understandable.
I waiting for your helps. Thanks...

Attachments

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
Hi, my english is worse, don't worry.

As for you project I would recomend a small PIC with ADC like 12f675, BTW you could do this with non-microcontrolled electronics but it would be a bit bigger, if that is your idea, OPAMPS will do the job, but on the easier (at least for me) use a PIC.

Since this is an "easy" circuit I am willing to code it for you given that you document and upload all your progress here for every one to see.

You will need:

1- 1 PIC 12F675
2- PIC programmer that supports 12F675.

Let us know when you get a hold of those things and we'll get on the way.

Good Luck

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One part of need is not explained. When 2nd DC engine closes umbrella, than what? Stop and require manual reset? Wait for some time and check wind speed, then open umbrella if safe?

No need to answer me. Just decide what to do when programming the PIC, later.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
An umbrella that doesn't flip inside itself in high winds would be 1000% better than an umbrella with a mind of its own that literally leaves you out in the rain in a high wind situation.

"oh my..I'm soaking wet"
"yeah but your umbrella didn't flip inside"
"So what..I'm frigging wet"

Not to mention the eye poking dangers associated with an automatically closing umbrella.

Still a fun project but not a marketable idea...

Rayzer

Joined Apr 16, 2012
Hi, my english is worse, don't worry.

As for you project I would recomend a small PIC with ADC like 12f675, BTW you could do this with non-microcontrolled electronics but it would be a bit bigger, if that is your idea, OPAMPS will do the job, but on the easier (at least for me) use a PIC.

Since this is an "easy" circuit I am willing to code it for you given that you document and upload all your progress here for every one to see.

You will need:

1- 1 PIC 12F675
2- PIC programmer that supports 12F675.

Let us know when you get a hold of those things and we'll get on the way.

Good Luck
OMG ! Thanks for your amazing support!! Yes i want small project i dont want big one. It's not my idea it was just a advice. I prefer to use PIC if it's easier :D I'm going to buy this things. ( I bought PIC 12f675, im looking for programmer which one working win7 x64 )

Not important, just a information about advice: Opamp depending on Voltage of 1st DC Engine. Generated voltage = wind speed. So PIC for measuring voltage of 1st DC )

I'm really pleased to see helpfull people :D Thank you so much Felo, #12 and All About Circuits :D:)

One part of need is not explained. When 2nd DC engine closes umbrella, than what? Stop and require manual reset? Wait for some time and check wind speed, then open umbrella if safe?

No need to answer me. Just decide what to do when programming the PIC, later.
yup that's really good point. I guess we need stop switch for end of mill. i attached image for that. You can see at second image Please share if there any easier way. Thank you so much ;):)

Attachments

Last edited:

Rayzer

Joined Apr 16, 2012
mcygr said:
An umbrella that doesn't flip inside itself in high winds would be 1000% better than an umbrella with a mind of its own that literally leaves you out in the rain in a high wind situation.

"oh my..I'm soaking wet"
"yeah but your umbrella didn't flip inside"
"So what..I'm frigging wet"

Not to mention the eye poking dangers associated with an automatically closing umbrella.

Still a fun project but not a marketable idea..
Yup You are right for under rain and i agree it's not marketable idea. It's just for school project ;)
But we can improve this project together :D Thanks mcygr ;)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just something to chew on: Wind generator is cup type anemometer with hall-effect sensor & magnet,[ no slip rings or tangled wires ]. Output from intergator WGV, wind generated voltage is fed into a comparator, U1, Pos feed back , not shown is from U2 collector[ or drain ] to U1-neg. SW-A DPDT manual reset switch. LSW-B & LSW-C are limit switches.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rayzer

Joined Apr 16, 2012
Just something to chew on: Wind generator is cup type anemometer with hall-effect sensor & magnet,[ no slip rings or tangled wires ]. Output from intergator WGV, wind generated voltage is fed into a comparator, U1, Pos feed back , not shown is from U2 collector[ or drain ] to U1-neg. SW-A DPDT manual reset switch. LSW-B & LSW-C are limit switches.
Looks like complicated for me :( Is it better than 12F675?

Hello,

An other way of measuring the wind-speed is using a thermal anemometer.
On the following page there are some examples:
http://www.fonema.se/anemom/anemom.html

Bertus
There is too many choise, which one i have to use?:confused:

If the project grows a bit the 12F675 6 I/O's can take a few more gadgets attached, so the smal 12f675 still stands strong.
Felo i bought PIC12f675 but I didn't buy programmer. I want to make electronic circuit to try. May you design electronic circuit? i want too see it if it's possible :)
My teacher adviced to me PIC 16F877 for Analog inputs( for measuring voltage )

I found new product, seems like very cool. There is no mechanic system. Can we do this ? I guess Bernard and Bertus speaking about this system. http://www.sunsetter.com/support/Motorized/wind_sensor/index.asp

Last edited:

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
question, why use a motor for the wind speed? you could use a hall sensor + small fan? say in the handle... on the end of the handle, which can then feed into the electronics in the handle.. that way you dont have any issues with the motor, size.. gearing, unwillingness to rotate.. yeh you have those with a small plastic fan, but its inertia will be so little its almost not there..
also, looking at your drive mechanism, would it not be better to run a smaller pulley style mechanism? running a cord up the handle to pull the umbrella lever up?
the latching mechanism would then need to be implemented.. but that could be a small electromagnetic style device..

Rayzer

Joined Apr 16, 2012
I use motor because i haven't knowledge about other things. I'm open for the new ideas which one isn't expensive. Also I want to use what i have to use. I'll continieu later, i have to go now ;)

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
thats fair enoug, but im obviously thinking about the end result to, and that motor you posted with the linear actuator.. well thats a sizeable piece of kit.. a small pulley that pulls the umbrella opener up.. and then back down, might be a better use of the space available.. and building everything into the handle means less complex parts all round.. maybe im wrong and overlooking something

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
The 12F675 Has ADC (Analog pins) integrated in it, as for the programmer you can build a dirt sheap JMD tipe programmer, the only drawback is that you need a legacy com port to make it work, and these are hard to come by this days. Google is your friend.

You may feel a little overwhelmd by all the input and ideas, this is people pleased to help with good ideas and enthusiasm, but as a little advice I would say:

Stick to what you are shure to know best or you actually want to do in what way, don't lose the track or you may end up with a full scale all transforming decepticon. (laughs here)

Good luck