Wind gen help

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
I have a 12 v PM motor which came from a winch. Gearing removed mounted on a base with a 3 blade hub using this setup as a wind gen I need either a mppt or buck or DC-DC controller. Not knowing what this will put out for watts etc what do you suggest I buy and specs of what controller I need winds here are always blowing and sometimes extreme (open hay field) ideas

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
As a atv winch I think it's current draw was 27 amps? Someone suggested a dc-dc controller 12-15 v 10 amps?others say this motor is crap? Others say go buy a sun force 400 watt turbine off the shelf

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
If amps x volts equals watts how do I get a amps rating from a winch motor. No literature came with this motor other than 12 v I have 3 air x blades on the hub each blade is 24 inches

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You'd likely have to measure the voltage and current output of the motor with the blades attached in the wind to determine what type of converter you may need. But I wouldn't expect a lot.

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
Finally got the hub off this thing. I think they jb welded the arbour to the shaft. Will try spinning it with a drill and volt meter

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
What volt PM motor would recommended for diy wind gen. Winds here are constant trying to charge three one hundred ah 12 volt batts in parralell?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
why must it be a pm motor? that puts all the work on the external voltage regulator. either an alternator or a wound rotor generator would be much better.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I would think you would pick wind generator based on the wind conditions. The government should have the tables of specific wind speeds, maximums, minimums and averages. This way you know what to expect. Now that you know the wind, you size the generator prop. With wind and generator prop you will know what RPM to expect, now that you know RPM, you can decided what motor to choose.

The dire lack of numbers in this thread tells me that you are definitely not ready to have a wind generator.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...trying to charge three one hundred ah 12 volt batts in parralell?
OK, there's a goal. We need a 12V charging system.

What is the average load on that system the watts or amps? What is the maximum peak load that you need to supply?

As noted, you need a lot of numbers and planning to make a successful, end-to-end wind system. You might enjoy reading up on the process, for instance here.

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
New motor 1/8 HP 90 volts 1.5 amps 5 volts per 100 rpm 300 rpmx0.5 equals 15 volts? Have 260 watts solar 400 AH battery 12 v house requires 600 watts for fridge freezer during day. Running a 1000 watt gas gen at night since winds are almost 24/7 here trying to eliminate gen to back up the person I got above motor from said I don't need 3 phase or rectifiers only 10 amp diode?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Running a 1000 watt gas gen at night since winds are almost 24/7 here trying to eliminate gen to back up...
It sounds like you need 500-1000W on average from your wind generator at night to carry you through an overcast day or a long night, so that your batteries can keep up.

With no generator, can you live with an occasional loss of power? I mean, a system designed for NO loss of power must be much larger than one that falls short, say, once a month.

Take a look at the link I gave earlier, and here and here too, to see what a 1kW wind system looks like. I think you'll see larger blades, a higher tower, more electronics and so on than you were hoping for.

Patches

Joined Feb 7, 2013
This is not a 12 v winch motor at all here's the info about this motor. 90 volts 1.5 amps 1/8 hp at 100 rpm is 5 volts so 300 rpm 15 volts? Trying to charge a 12 volt 400 ah system the person I got it from claims it doesn't need 3 phase or rectifier? 10 amp diode?i require 600 watts to run my fridge/ freezer wind speeds here are 5 mph steady what do I need to get this thing putting out?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
what do I need to get this thing putting out?
Clearly more than 600W if you want to charge the battery as well as run a fridge. But your motor is rated 90 x 1.5 = 135VA, which seems far too little :(.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
And if the wind speed drops to 4mph you get only half the power you would at 5mph (with power varying as the cube of wind speed) :(