Willem EPROM Programmer and MPLAb?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am just starting to read all about PICs and trying to figure what I need to get into the hobby.

I was considering this Willem EPROM Programmer to program EPROMS for a completely different project using the 6502.

I noticed the Willem allows you to program a wide variety of PICs.

I gave MPLab a look and noticed that the Willem is not on the list of programmers. I also noticed that the ones on the list also function as a debugger and the Willem description, does not make any mention of it being a debugger.

Can I use the Willem with MPLab or do I need one of the dedicated programmers on the list?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you do not have a programmer for PIC uCs I will recommend a Pickit unit (2 or 3) where in the world are you located?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you do not have a programmer for PIC uCs I will recommend a Pickit unit (2 or 3) where in the world are you located?
I am located in Pittsburgh, PA. USA.

PicKit2 comes in several flavors. Which one do you recommend?

What are the advantages of the 3 over the 2?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have Pickit 2 for hobby use at home. The Pickit 2 is soon to be discontinued. And Pickit 3 will take over. As I understand Microchip will stop support for Pickit 2. You will not be able to program future Microchip uCs with Pickit 2. For my hobby use this is not an issue, or something I worry about.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
MPLAB does not directly support the Willem but it does produce an Intel format hex file. Once you have the hex file you can use any PIC compliant programmer you like. It just means that you have to manually run the programmer software rather than opening it from the MPLAB window.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The Pickit units may also offer some simple incircuit debugging for some uCs. They use USB. Many new computers do not have parallel port. If I may recommend something. I would go for a Pickit bundled with a demo board. Like digi-key part DV164121-ND, or DV164131-ND

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
MPLAB does not directly support the Willem but it does produce an Intel format hex file. Once you have the hex file you can use any PIC compliant programmer you like. It just means that you have to manually run the programmer software rather than opening it from the MPLAB window.

Thanks that is what I kind of figured. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone and go with the PicKit. Sounds like it would be a lot less complicated.

I could always buy a cheaper Willem for my non PIC projects.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The Pickit units may also offer some simple incircuit debugging for some uCs. They use USB. Many new computers do not have parallel port. If I may recommend something. I would go for a Pickit bundled with a demo board. Like digi-key part DV164121-ND, or DV164131-ND
Thanks for the recommendation.

I am looking at this kit. I have a couple of questions:

1. Where does the chip go that needs to be programmed? I don't see any socket on the programmer. Does the programmer plug into the board and the chips programmed frome there? I don't see any sockets.

2. The demo board looks like it has surface mount soldering pads. Do you need to solder your own chips on the board? Or is that a bad picture because it looks like a bare board.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
1. Where does the chip go that needs to be programmed? I don't see any socket on the programmer. Does the programmer plug into the board and the chips programmed frome there? I don't see any sockets.

2. The demo board looks like it has surface mount soldering pads. Do you need to solder your own chips on the board? Or is that a bad picture because it looks like a bare board.
The demo board do have the uC onboard. But it is No problem using the Pickit 3 programmer with a proto type board
You do not have to solder anything thing in order to start to explore the debug express tutorials. But the demo board do have some space for extra components. You have also access to all the uC pins via through hole solder joints

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The demo board do have the uC onboard. But it is No problem using the Pickit 3 programmer with a proto type board
You do not have to solder anything thing in order to start to explore the debug express tutorials. But the demo board do have some space for extra components. You have also access to all the uC pins via through hole solder joints
So to program my own PIC. I would need to place it on my prototype board and connect the programmer to that? What connector do I use on the prototype board? Should I order those when I order the programmer?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You can use the demoboard as base for your own experiments in the start. But then you decide it is not fit anymore you get 6 pins like those at the top on the demo board in the picture. You can even pretend you are a rap star and get them gold plated (lol)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You can use the demoboard as base for your own experiments in the start. But then you decide it is not fit anymore you get 6 pins like those at the top on the demo board in the picture. You can even pretend you are a rap star and get them gold plated (lol)
Then I assume you do program it "in circuit" ?