Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I love paddle shifts. My Jaguar XE has them, both fully manual, and manual override. Good for getting some engine-braking when going downhill.
Anyway, back to the topic. One thing I'd pay good money to see is the first encounter between selfdriving car and combine harvester on a narrow fen road with muddy verges and dykes both sides.
When it happens, I sure someone will post it on YouTube.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

It auto drives about as well as a typical bad human driver in those conditions with a very common, rear wheel and all season tires configuration.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Would a self driving car know enough not to drive out of a helicopter before it fully landed?
That would be quite funny.

Yeah I could imagine some novel scenarios that would drive it into nutty land as usual.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Would a self driving car know enough not to drive out of a helicopter before it fully landed?
That would be quite funny.

Yeah I could imagine some novel scenarios that would drive it into nutty land as usual.
What about drawbridges? If it has been trained by action movies, it might accelerate up the ramp as it is opening.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
What about drawbridges? If it has been trained by action movies, it might accelerate up the ramp as it is opening.
Ha Ha, yeah

And what about flood waters, would it know to backup and take an alternate route. I had to do that a few times myself.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I remember a long time ago, if your wheels were aligned properly, you could go hands free for a bit if you had too.
It depended not only on the car being well-aligned, but also on the road (and the interplay between the two).

I had an '89 Ford Probe that was well-aligned and I used to frequently see how far I could go without touching the steering wheel. One day on I-25, at 75 mph with the cruise control set, I took my hands off the wheel on a long straight section north of Colorado Springs and wasn't surprised that the car stayed right in the center of the lane until the next curve, at which point I expected to have to touch the wheel. But I didn't. It tracked the curve, and the next, and the next. I went for something over five miles through several curved before I finally had to take control. At first I tried to rationalize it as the road being properly banked in all the curves, but that seemed like a pretty improbable thing. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the most likely explanation was that this long stretch of road, which had been repaved several years earlier, was still in very good, smooth condition and the lanes had simply developed sufficient tire ruts that the car was able to follow them.