Will This Project Go Fine With My Subjects?

dogar sahab

Joined Mar 15, 2008
Hey guys,

I need you help..Well, my final year of Electrical Engineering has started and now I am trying to search for what to make as final year project.

Finally we have decided to go for trying to make a VIRTUAL KEYBOARD. As you all people might know that final year project is of significant importance for interviews when you go for a job. My subjects for final year are:

Digital Signal Processing
Power System Analysis
Power Electronics
Instrumentation

Now some people say that I should change my project as well as it does NOT go with chosen subjects(you can see most of them are related to Power). However, my project is much related to Digital Signal Processing. But I want to make sure that I keep in contact with coding and software work while doing my final year.

So what you people suggest..?? Should I change the project or should I stick to this!

regards and kindly do reply asap as I need to make decision asap!

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I would definitely say change it.

Flashy as the virtual keyboard is there are better projects for you.

Mocking up a smart community, with demonstration models for basic elements like solar and microwind turbines, advanced storage mediums like Vanadium Redox flow batteries, some electric vehicles that take and return power, rooftop water tanks that are pumped full offpeak, with one of them solar heated. Add some robotics and definitely some automation. It is a lot of elements. Cover each one in a basic way, adding elements and layers of sophistication as you get more foundation levels completed and polished.

This way your project is basically done in a hurry, you don't get yourself in over your head at any point, and you can keep going until the whole thing turns into an amazing mass of work, all of it simple steps that you could do one at a time but put together into something that really shows the depth of your knowledge.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
a "Virtual Keyboard" does not go with your selected subjects, it seems as if you would want to do more on the line of power management or some sort of watt hour monitor / analyzer (although those are already showing up by the hand full on the net, plus Lady Ada already has the Tweet-a-watt!)

B. Morse

dogar sahab

Joined Mar 15, 2008
ok--thanks for your suggestions...

I gonna change it..In fact, some more suggestions on final year project will really be appreciated as well.

I start my search as well..

Regards

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I really like the "smart community" idea. Not only would it be scalable to be as simple or as complex as time allowed since it's modular in design but it might be something of interest to both the teacher and to prospective employers - shows you're thinking about the future.