Will This Circuit Work?

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
http://electroschematics.com/6161/power-switch-with-infrared-proximity-sensor/

I have an LM567, and i want to make this, simply, will it work, does it look like it will work is their anything i can change to make it better.

Also that thing S20, what is that? a IR LED with a phototransistor?
Can i just use an IR LED and a Phototransistor instead of that thing, becuase my electronics store dont have it. What is it called?

- Optoisolater?

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The circuit will probabbly work well.
The NE567 is a PLL locked tone detector.
The S20 is a solid state relays.
There are several types of them, depending on the switched load.

Bertus

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ohk thanks bertus
so, solid state relay sorry what does that mean
i remember briefly learning about them, but i dont understand them

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
And how does that thing S20 work?
do i need to get that s20 thing, cant i make it another way

like, have an IR LED, then a phototransistor, and make it power a relay that i can make latch, or if i can get solid state relay do they all have that LED thing with diodes?

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Also, would a way to increase the proximity distance to maybe a meter, or a doorway just put the led in a lense

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If the signal frequency lies within the same band as that of the internal generator, output terminal (pin8) of IC1 is connected to earth, where upon LED in the solid-state relay (IC2) lights and the relay is energised.
Don't forget, your light source will need to be pulsed. That is the whole purpose of using the LM567. From its datasheet, you can find what the pulse frequency will need to be and change
(f = 1/(1.1*R\(_{timing}\)*C\(_{timing}\)) the iming components accordingly.

As drawn, and using R5 and C2 that frequency is about
2KHz.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Also, would a way to increase the proximity distance to maybe a meter, or a doorway just put the led in a lense
I think it is worthwhile to find out what your reception distance is with this circuit, since you have most of the components already. You can test the effective distance without the solid state relay (SSR).

If you want greater distance, I suggest an IR receiver and transmitter pair, such as the Vishay TSOP series of devices. To achieve that greater distance the transmitter protocol is more complicated, and there is greater noise/false signal rejection.

This device with the SSR has potential to control some fairly powerful equipment. Be sure to have enough safety devices in the system so that an unintentional start or stop doesn't do any harm.

John