why would they prefer to play video games than study?

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

Why would the children (or, perhaps anyone) prefer to play video games, watch movies, etc. than study such as doing homework?

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. I have seen kids who could play outdoor games even in hot summer days but they wouldn't like to are study even in an air conditioned room. What is the reason? Please let me hear your opinion on this. Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Building new neuron links requires work, and most people don't think it's fun. Anything "video" puts the brain in neutral. Playing with your friends is a social thing. "Social" is a skill, but the rewards are almost instant. Learning algebra? When is that going to pay off for a teenager? The fourth of never?

Then, there are people that are just wired different from "nerd". I know a guy that does interior design. Haven't a clue what he does, but he cashes the checks! It's just a different kind of skills. Everybody has different innate skills and interests. Some of them are valid and pay the bills. There also the slackers, the fools that think they know everything, and a few categories like that.

I haven't covered all the bases for fear of getting too specific. This is a nerd site. You aren't going to find many slackers here. You also aren't going to get a well rounded view of people who won't study without being threatened from the local denizens.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I figured homework was a waste of time that I could more effectively use reading Tom Swift, Jr. books! Anyway, work is a four-letter word!

--Rich

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Hi

Why would the children (or, perhaps anyone) prefer to play video games, watch movies, etc. than study such as doing homework?
Number one reason would be...THEY ARE CHILDREN. They like to play and have fun. I can't remember ever having fun with homework.

:)

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I am 22+,I play video-games (like RPG type the most),anyway playing video games, watching movies,studying etc are all different ways of entertainment and not only humans but many creatures in planet earth needs some sort of entertainment in their life.I think life without entertainment would be horrible.