why will my 3v led work with appropriate resistor via usb or small 6v battery pack but not my phone via mini usb

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
no i did not use any meter to gauge voltage i made an assumption that all phones allow power to flow both ways via the red lead
i have tried it

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
we seem to be going off topic so i will ask this will the use of a Fixed LDO Voltage Regulator, 2.3V to 6V, 178mV Dropout, 1.2Vout, 200mAout, SOT-23-3 assist me with me problem

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Find out if your phone supports USB OTG, and if so, does it supply power or does it need a powered hub or adapter cable. You may need an app like OTG Helper to enable that mode.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
we seem to be going off topic so i will ask this will the use of a Fixed LDO Voltage Regulator, 2.3V to 6V, 178mV Dropout, 1.2Vout, 200mAout, SOT-23-3 assist me with me problem
That would depend on what your problem is. Where is the power for this regulator going to come from? If it's supposed to come from the phone, then you are right back where you started and need to know if THAT phone supports supplying power out from it.

Why won't you answer the question of what the make and model is of phone you are trying to use?

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
i am at loss why does the type of phone matter if it has a mini usb c port!
i would like it to work on all phones and regards the iphone comment i phones have a facility that you have to turn on so you can use accessories that plug into the phones usb i have clearly stated i am a knob why would like to run a single 3 v led from the mini usb c port in almost all phones today that article that people are quoting is pre usb c that is now an industry standard one of you bright sparks who find this stuff natural must be able to kids on you tube are doing it with pre made led arrays what allows then to run when a basic resistor which works on other similarly 5v or 6v outputs somebody must know the answer to this does it need a software solution or a hardware solution or both ? kind regards

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i am at loss why does the type of phone matter if it has a mini usb c port!
The connector is just a connector. As has been stated several times, what matters is what capabilities the phone has. There are different versions of the USB standard, plus USB OTG. The purpose of OTG was to allow a device to switch between being a host and a device. Hosts have to supply power to the devices. How much power is dependent on the version of the USB spec at play.

If you need to design a circuit that you can power from the USB-C port of ANY phone, then just stop right now because it can't be done because not all phones with a USB-C connector can provide ANY power to the thing that the other end.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The USB spec defines a USB Host and a USB Device.

Phones are USB Devices and do not supply power. Power adapters and PCs are typically USB Hosts and can supply power.

Some phones (not all) can supply power if their firmware or hardware was built to allow this. IPhones cannot.

Last edited:

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
The USB spec defines a USB Host and a USB Device.

Phones are USB Devices and do not supply power. Power adapters and PCs are typically USB Hosts and can supply power.

Some phones (not all) can supply power with their firmware or hardware was built to allow this. IPhones cannot.
Thank you for the clarification.
question how does the i phone charge via a wireless charger how does it recognize the remote charger

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thank you for the clarification.
question how does the i phone charge via a wireless charger how does it recognize the remote charger
I don’t know ‍:oops:

I believe you have to attach a wireless receiver to the phone. That receiver is the same shape as the phone and attaches to its back in some cases. It likely has a USB interface to charge the phone. That USB interface is for a USB Host.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
What resistance did you use to limit the current to the 3.3V LED when powered from a computer's USB?
Isn't the LED an invisible Ultra-Violet one? Do not look at it when it is powered.
What are you growing with UV?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What resistance did you use to limit the current to the 3.3V LED when powered from a computer's USB?
Isn't the LED an invisible Ultra-Violet one? Do not look at it when it is powered.
What are you growing with UV?
We’ve had a long discussion over what resistor is needed. We gave him some rough idea of the resistor value.

Great catch on the fact that according to the specs the supplied, the LEDs are UV LEDs. Can’t be seen by the naked eye and useful only in specific circumstances.

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
great catch ? i posted the led specs on here nobody has given me a slightest tiny weenie piece of advice regards the resistor
just for those that have the power of observation like uncle duck the resistance is simple according to ohms law 3V 15 Ohm 20mA 0.25W this was not the question regards can not be seen be the naked eye please get an education at the specific wavelength that i desire to use and to what specs were posted it is very visible to the naked eye but is still quite likely to damage your retina once again how! it must be possible to get pull some method to power a tiny lil led from a mobile phone usb or am i looking at it from the wrong direction should i be concentrating on the charger which is unfortunately almost always at a fixed point the world is dying and you want to pick hairs and try unsuccessfully to earn brownie points over matters that are clear for all to see refugee camps across the world that have no idea what social isolation means !

all have one thing in common they carry a mobile phone i would like to do some good. somebody with the correct nouse brainpower and common sense must have a solution to this is it possible to send software in via the usb data feeds to tell the phone to power out ? all about circuits really if you have nothing pertinent relevant or intelligent to contribute please go and read the beano and i tried abracadabra it did not work happy thoughts

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
ps if you want to grow stuff best wavelength is 700 nanometers 395 mn which unless peaking through a hole in the ozone does not ordinarily reach the surface of the earth via natural sunlight in useful amounts will kill or damage plants so think more along the lines of damaging dna percy ..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As has been stated several times, whether or not you can get power OUT of a phone's USB connector depends on the design of that specific model of phone. What is it about this that you do not comprehend? It primarily depends on whether that phone is capable of acting as a USB host and not all phones can.

Why don't you explain what it is you are trying to accomplish? What purpose will be served if you WERE able to power an LED from a phone's USB connector? There may well be a way of accomplishing the goal by a completely different means.

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
read my post not rocket science all information is within the posts i live in a world where can't, can not, impossible,

except mission

obviously are not binary now i understand that your world where 0s and 1S are the sum total of knowledge with set stringent RULES in that box THAT is where you live !

I live in a world were infinite possibilities are everyday miracles and have proven daily routines perhaps when you realize that i know even light can escape black holes dispite the fact that i was told by somebody with a binary mind in the 90s that was impossible ! with that in mind please if you are unlikely to have an original thought and just wish to spit what somebody else has informed you of, not your knowledge somebody else's thoughts and reasoning clearly you are wasting your time i understand your point of view but clearly the reason why and the uses of have eluded you they are clearly within my posts

i did ask one pertinent question other than why won,t it work regards which is better as a continued form of voltage regulation resistor or this chip MCP1700T-1202E/TT but got no response

please if you are not part of the solution you are a part of the problem happy thoughts

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
read my post not rocket science all information is within the posts i live in a world where can't, can not, impossible,

except mission

obviously are not binary now i understand that your world where 0s and 1S are the sum total of knowledge with set stringent RULES in that box THAT is where you live !

I live in a world were infinite possibilities are everyday miracles and have proven daily routines perhaps when you realize that i know even light can escape black holes dispite the fact that i was told by somebody with a binary mind in the 90s that was impossible ! with that in mind please if you are unlikely to have an original thought and just wish to spit what somebody else has informed you of, not your knowledge somebody else's thoughts and reasoning clearly you are wasting your time i understand your point of view but clearly the reason why and the uses of have eluded you they are clearly within my posts

i did ask one pertinent question other than why won,t it work regards which is better as a continued form of voltage regulation resistor or this chip MCP1700T-1202E/TT but got no response

please if you are not part of the solution you are a part of the problem happy thoughts
Apparently, in your world, if you’re a man, you may be pregnant.

Good luck with that. Out here..

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
mobile phone i would like to do some good. somebody with the correct nouse brainpower and common sense must have a solution to this is it possible to send software in via the usb data feeds to tell the phone to power out ?
No, it is not possible to tell a phone to power out, if the phone is not designed to power out!

You can’t accelerate your car to 60mph if it doesn’t have an engine.

Last edited:

digixz

Joined Apr 3, 2020
clearly you have failed to grasp the nettle please your opinion is of no value regards cars electric has no engine and will go as fast forwards as it does backwards your point ? perhaps i will be the first gender reassigned pregnancy those doctors are capable of many things that only 40 years ago peeps like you said were not possible it took 5 years of linked computers worldwide to read the human genome 25 years ago today you can read any dna in hours imposible is a state of mind .

if you are not part of the solution you are a part of the problem happy thoughts