'why' these components are found in any particular electronic circuit

fachhoch

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Almost every beginning level electronics book explains 'what' resistors, capacitors, diodes, and other electronic components are and how they work. However, they all fall short of explaining 'why' these components are found in any particular electronic circuit. Is there any books which helps reader understand the need for these component before using them ?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
All of the intermediate books on electronics explain why, and some of the later chapters on the beginning books.

Look at our e-book, accessible through the button bar at the top of the page, maybe VOL II AC would cover your questions on capacitors, inductors, resistors and diodes, anyway.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Almost every beginning level electronics book explains 'what' resistors, capacitors, diodes, and other electronic components are and how they work. However, they all fall short of explaining 'why' these components are found in any particular electronic circuit. Is there any books which helps reader understand the need for these component before using them ?
That is a very interesting question, but I think that it would not occur to a lot of people who have studied the subject, particularly if this began fairly early in life. Would an automotive engineer ask why we have (say), springs, bearings, or pistons?

In my view, once we really understand what components are and how they work, the answers to questions about why they are used in particular circuits will in the main be obvious. There is a sort of grammar to be learned, where the basic functions of a device pretty much tell us what we might do with it. We can also learn some basic circuits which show ways of using these things. In the end, with sufficient experience this problem should more or less go away.

Of course, particular circuits, especially novel ones may require detailed descriptions. There will also be new components from time to time, but they will normally have very specific uses which will be described by their manufacturers.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Most of these circuits can be illustrated in many different ways too.

Electronics is a very complex topic that one could spend two lifetimes trying to fully comprehend. Not so sure that I recommend it.

I have regrets about dedicating such a large portion of my life to it too. There's no money in it either unless you're the best of the best.