Why the wave form of my wien bridge oscillator is not a pure sine wave?

SKMR168

Joined Aug 8, 2015
my circuit is aimed to generate a 1.5kHz(approximately) sine wave. The circuit in MULTISIM is-

upload_2016-5-23_13-32-38.png

Using oscilloscope i got this waveform-

upload_2016-5-23_13-32-20.png

I had checked the gain properly. It should be a pure sine wave at the gain i had set to because increaing the gain made it a square wave and decreasing the gain made it more and more distorted. what causes the upper portion of the sine wave to be distorted

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

What the heck is that?

It looks like a green line sine wave, but there is yellow in there too at the top. Is that fast oscillation?
If it is fast oscillation then there is something wrong with the layout or you need to compensate somewhere for the speed of the op amp perhaps (or maybe diodes should be 1N4148 instead of 1N4007).

In a circuit like this you have to have the gain set right (as you seem to know) so that the limiting part of the circuit does not cause too much clipping. With minimal clipping you can get pretty good distortion numbers.

You may have to add more diodes however to increase the voltage clip point. 0.7v sounds too low. 1N4007 is not the right diode for the job either, the capacitance may be causing the extra oscillations. Use 1N4148 or similar.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Curious about your power supplies: neg and neg_1, are they a common point in your circuit?

Is that the way to identify them in Multisim?

Last edited:

grahamed

Joined Jul 23, 2012
Hi

Yes that's hf oscillation right enough.

Oscillation is (almost) always caused by feedback.

Either the desired feedback of the Wein network or by undesired feedback through the power supply - try adding some 100nF near to the OPA supply pins

Having said I suspect that this OPA is only conditionally stable, i.e. too much negative feedback, too low a gain in fact, will make it oscillate I can't find a datasheet so I can't be sure but less than 5 or 10 might be a problem and your gain could be quite low when the diodes conduct and the diodes have 10pF so exhibit quite low impedence at h.f. Try 1N4148 as suggested.

Also have a search for grid- or gate-stopper resistors.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I believe that it is low frequency oscillation. What you are seeing is a result of many traces being captured by your o'scope. Set your scope for a single shot and capture ONE trace.

Also, where is a picture of your physical circuit? I would bet that your problems are layout specific.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Sorrry for the mistake.Actually both should be denoted with the same name - "neg"
Hi again,

You quoted my post but i dont see it here, did you delete it later?

No problem either way, but hope you made some progress with this now.

SKMR168

Joined Aug 8, 2015
Using fast switching diodes instead of 1n4007 have no effect on the waveform. Again the idea of using more diodes also has no effect.The problem was with the breadboard. Because after proper soldering the waveform is quite better than that found while testing in breadboard.