Why the respected late member RichardO is not suggested when in Search?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Spent quite some time searching for some valuable/interesting posts by late member RichardO.

The search function does not offer his nickname, no matter what you type and the site does not recognize it. How comes?

Just in case, because it has been always my doubt: I used both at the end: the capital letter "O" or the number zero "0", to no avail.

Could this be solved? I recall seen a very useful thread to access his databook collection. A sticky IIRC.

His memory does not deserve this.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have no problem doing a search on his name:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search/10668/?q=RichardO&o=relevance

Or limiting to ones where Rich was the poster:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search/10672/

10672 is Rich's member number. This is the link that was returned by doing a Search and entering RichardO in the "By:" field of the dialog box.

It even turns up this thread.

As for what the forum software decides to suggest, that is anyone's guess. I completely ignore the "Similar Threads" panel because they are almost always completely unrelated (like the top one listed now is "How late is your mail lately" just both titles have the word "late" in them). Useless.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As for why his username is not coming up on the possible members drop down list, I don't know. I've asked the admins if Rich's membership category was changed. That's my guess and my guess is that that category suppresses this based on it not making sense to send people in that category notification alerts. My further speculation is that this is also suppressing their name from being offered when you do a search. Hopefully the admins can make more sense out of it and see if there's anything that can be done.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for taking care William.

Hope we get his name back in the drop down list which is one of the most useful tools when you remember just the name of the poster.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I recall seen a very useful thread to access his databook collection. A sticky IIRC.
Sadly, he WAS the access to his databook collection. He was willing to scan a limited number of otherwise unavailable pages upon request. That offer, obviously, passed along with him. I don't know what physically became of his databooks. His home was cleared out by some of his friends who took what they thought they could use or could find a good home for -- this was in keeping with Rich's wishes. I doubt anyone kept his collection intact and I suspect that many of them probably got discarded when all was said and done -- this would not have been Rich's ideal desire, but he would have also understood that it was probably inevitable.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sadly, he WAS the access to his databook collection. He was willing to scan a limited number of otherwise unavailable pages upon request. That offer, obviously, passed along with him. I don't know what physically became of his databooks. His home was cleared out by some of his friends who took what they thought they could use or could find a good home for -- this was in keeping with Rich's wishes. I doubt anyone kept his collection intact and I suspect that many of them probably got discarded when all was said and done -- this would not have been Rich's ideal desire, but he would have also understood that it was probably inevitable.
Until you said the above I did not realize that he was the access. Pity really. Such is life.
Thanks to you for taking care.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Late members will not show up in the lists.
Try beenthere, the late moderator.
He will also not show up.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But that's the gist of the problem. While it makes sense for Late Members to not get notifications, it does not make sense for them to not show up in the search lists. We have lots of members who have convoluted user names that few people are going to remember but who will often recall the first few characters. Just because a member has passed doesn't mean the others won't want to search for their contributed material. Is there anything that can be done configurationwise to resolve this?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
But that's the gist of the problem. While it makes sense for Late Members to not get notifications, it does not make sense for them to not show up in the search lists. We have lots of members who have convoluted user names that few people are going to remember but who will often recall the first few characters. Just because a member has passed doesn't mean the others won't want to search for their contributed material. Is there anything that can be done configurationwise to resolve this?
Exactly my point in all counts.