Why no Quine–McCluskey?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm curious as to why there is nothing here on the Quine-McCluckey method of combinatorial logic minimization. Enough people seem to have an understanding of it, but there doesn't seem to be an article on it.

So....since I'm supposed to make a suggestion... I suggest to add a section on Quine-McCluskey...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I was not aware of that method. It was never being taught to me.

However, after giving it a glance, I believe that it is longer, requires more matching and writing than the Karnaugh map, and therefore, I do not find a reason for it to be included it in the book.
Besides, it's better for a book to teach one way of thinking, as long as that way applies to all cases.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
True, but it does allow for an algorithmic approach(computers can do it easily) and it isn't limited like the Karnaugh maps are at higher number of input variables, as it becomes increasingly difficult to setup the Karnaugh maps the higher number of inputs you go...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In that you are correct. But facing a 7-variable map wouldn't you resort to a ready-made software solution?

Moreover, I think that for 128+rows one can make a ROM truth table without remorse.