Why is it dangerous for human being to touch one of contacts in AC wall outlet?

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
May I direct you to this thread?

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...deas-as-to-what-they-are.147517/#post-1257117

Also you should know that metal surfaces are connected to earth and that there exist GFCI outlets. So if live touches a metal surface, it trips a breaker (hopefully). That way it doesn't electrocute you. And GFCI is installed in certain places to prevent a lethal current from going through live to ground.

Here are some good videos on the subject:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also you should know that metal surfaces are connected to earth and that there exist GFCI outlets. So if live touches a metal surface, it trips a breaker (hopefully). That way it doesn't electrocute you. And GFCI is installed in certain places to prevent a lethal current from going through live to ground.
This was the subject of post#20, RCD/ELT , Earth Leakage Trip device. just that they are called different things depending where you are, also some jurisdictions require them at the service panel.;)
Max,

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
The thing with AC is you never know whats going to happen you could hold the hot wire all day and nothing happen.

But I can tell you forsure that's not a good idea if you become a load it will knock you for loop.

If your skin is low resistance your dead in the 34 years I've been Electrician I've known 3 people that have died
from thinking they was safe with just one wire one's feet was wet.

And 2 died from just touching the wire.

AC or DC in high voltage is nothing to play with from 48 volts and up will shock you the higher you go the easter
It is to get shocked.

You lock out the line turn it off unplug it don't play with it.

And if you don't know what your into to begin with leave it alone.

Life is to short for mistakes that don't need to happen.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A lot of customers I visit are using the LOTO procedure for safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockout-tagout
This means that the machine or installation you are going to work on is disabled to be switched on.
This can be done, for instance, placing a lock on the mains power switch.
The LOTO procedure can also be used in chemical installations.
In that case , for instance, a valve that controls the chemical flow is blocked with a lock.

Bertus

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
40 to 50 years ago.....if you asked a production foreman to shut down a line for replacement or maintenance.......he would laugh at you....fire you.....and hire a "REAL" electrician.

Electrocution was a fairly common industrial death. Working on live circuits was very common.

And it can be done. But it is very dangerous and second chances are not common.

Now everyone argues about the EPA......back in the day they argued about OSHA.

These regulations were not implemented over night. It took years. I have had more than one lock out cut and energized while working on the circuit. 450. OUCH.

Now....special procedures, clothing, permits and documentation.... and equipment, must be met for anything over 50 volts.

The only people that should risk electrocution today are line man. And that should be rare.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not sure I could have fault found a inoperable machine without having the cabinet and machine 'Live'!
When one machine is down, it can stop the whole line, eventually.
Max.