why digital designers use languages?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It may have to do with the size of the design. Some things are simply too large to just start with an input to a gate on a piece of paper. Granted that many computers and such were done on paper, but could you really attempt a quad core processor that way?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello why do digital designers use vhdl or verilog cant they design mentally? Is it used everywhere?
Because in a hierarchical design it is way more efficient than ANYTHING else you can name. It also allows designs to be reused even if the underlying process and tools change.

wenn32

Joined Nov 9, 2010
What's mental design?
sorry if i made it hard to understand what i mean by mental design is the tradtional way of drawing in paper like thinking about how components should be attached together in different way to obtain different results rather than how to code efficiently to get required results.

and i would like to know how is digital electronics field going these days is it worth??? or should i stick to analog field.

thanks for the replies

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Take a couple hundred thousand 7400 ICs and connect them to be a microprocessor in your head, or even on paper. Then draw a fuse map with thousands of entries for how each gate connects to others to run a single machine instruction. Repeat for all desired microprocessor opcodes.

The reason higher level languages exist is to allow such things to be designed and debugged so the concept will work with very high density logic as seen in FPGAs. This gives us the ability to have computers in our pockets that double as cel phones, mp3 players, etc.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Take a couple hundred thousand 7400 ICs and connect them to be a microprocessor in your head, or even on paper. Then draw a fuse map with thousands of entries for how each gate connects to others to run a single machine instruction. Repeat for all desired microprocessor opcodes.
Actually it is a terrible job even if you draw it in a CAD program. VHDL just makes life so much easier.