Who pays for 'data airtime' of received Whatsapp messages ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
Who pays for the data, messages, attachments, pictures, videos you receive on Whatsapp ?
The sender, the recipient, or both ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You do, if you’re talking about receiving cellular data on your phone or tablet. Most people with an internet connection pay for that service and a particular app doesn’t make an incremental difference but does contribute to the overall data usage. At home I can use as much data as I can swallow but I’m somewhat more limited on my phone.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
The fee charged by your provider is linked to a calculated use ( bandwidth).
Every bit/byte is consuming bandwidth resulting in people paying for:
cookies/ adverts/virus/ junk mail/E-mail/ using your browser and so on.

Blocking it at your Pc will NOT avoid the transmission to it but is will stop working its way though your machine.

So we all pay for things we do not want to receive like cookies virus junk mail and more.
Remember that more than 75% of the internet used bandwidth is junk.

Picbuster

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks.
If I understand; a smart phone uses/consumes its data from a service provider to send a message + attachments as video/pictures and the recipient pays again for the data from its service provider to see it. Even if not seen, or opened the message, it has consumed the recipient's resources.
So both? Every message cashes twice or times the number of recipients in a group. Not as landline service was, were only the caller was paying.

Saw a news article where UK approved sending advertisements to smart phones... prompted this question.
And friends sending junk on Whattsup, thinking that such application is 'free'

As cable TV subscribers, paying to see television advertisements...

Last edited: