Who knows about available surveillance cameras?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In case I wasn't clear, a wireless router is in use 24/7 within 30 feet of the camera position and there are several PC computers using that router. I expect to have one of the computers record the output of the camera. How that is done is in the software. Wake on motion detect would be good, but 1 frame per 1 or 2 seconds would work, too.

I have already seen ads for cameras that have motion detect and wireless capability. The only thing that isn't happening is infrared emitters on batteries, but I think I have a way around that. There is a 60 watt incandescent bulb within 6 feet of the target area. I believe I can find a camera that can work under those conditions without using IR emitters.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's that squirrel in the pill dispenser thread. He keeps knocking on the door at 3 am and he's not supposed to get another peanut until 8 am.:mad:

On top of that, he swears it's the dog! I need proof, photographic proof!

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It's that squirrel in the pill dispenser thread. He keeps knocking on the door at 3 am and he's not supposed to get another peanut until 8 am.:mad:

On top of that, he swears it's the dog! I need proof, photographic proof!
Got it. Good luck.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Really, it's about an old lady that thinks somebody is playing "knock and run" at 3 am. I don't know if she's correct. I just know she wants a camera and she can afford it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Have you checked out Lowes or Home Depot?

I found the Bushnell outdoor security camera (508198) at Lowes but it doesn't stream to a computer via IP. It saves images to an internal SD card. It has night vision, motion detection and is battery powered. Around here, it retails for $114.

Is this helpful?

We used these at a job site that kept having things stolen at some point. Bad thing with these are having to get to the SD card out to check. We had to put them up high so it was not worth getting to them. Otherwise if the perps spotted them they could easily crack it open and take the card, or in our case take the whole camera lol... Also the memory cards fill up with junk most of the time so when something does happen the card was full. Gota weigh your options i guess. Our case was a little more extreme than some punk knocking on the door at 3am.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
A customer needs a surveillance camera. If I could have anything I want, it would be battery operated, have motion detection ability, and use the local wi-fi to post a video on a computer inside the house or a website to be accessed later.

What's available in retail version and how close can I get to this magical thing I have described?

didnt read the thread, way too boring but I just set up 3 cameras over my Wifi network. I used android smartphones.. got them $10 each. Theyre battery powered, wifi enabled, and you can even make phone calls with them:D:D:D:D

whats nice though is you can use any computer, tablet, phone or whatever to see the video signals, and record from there if you want. Motion detection included! I just did it with phones because of cost. I have a 3 camera system, with 32GB recording, for about $100 all said and done.. cant beat it.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Yea and its a lot easier to setup then it would seem. I used to think those $400 camera systems were inexpensive... But now I refuse to pay more then $10 per camera and $50 per server/recorder :)

whats nice though is you can use any computer, tablet, phone or whatever to see the video signals, and record from there if you want. Motion detection included! I just did it with phones because of cost. I have a 3 camera system, with 32GB recording, for about $100 all said and done.. cant beat it.
How are you doing the motion detecting? Or are you just saying it can be done?

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Its built into the free windows software. I think the free android app does it too.

I'll confess though. If you want 30fps and night vision you have to spend more money. The better android phones take better video and you have to add infrared lights to see at night. I haven't done that yet, but plan to.

Also, framerate is determined by a combination of network speed, phone CPU speed, and server CPU speed. If I wanted smooth motion video I'd probably have to spend $100 per camera and get a better wireless router...or possibly connect Ethernet to the phones via usb

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Thats a really cool idea though for the money. Which reminds me! I hear the rasp pi folks have a nice Hi def camera attachment

This might be worth looking into.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5071

Also would have to work in infrared :(
This could be a battery powered option I think!

Under 70 bucks for the main pieces
There's no reason to use Rpi's that I can see. I have a couple of them, theyre cool devices but theyre actually getting outdated very quickly. The problem is Android has matured enough that you can literally do anything with a used $50 phone that you can do with an Rpi, and the phone is actually much more powerful and easier to setup. Especially since a touchscreen interface is built in.

When you buy a used android, all you have to do is install one small free app and its instantly a high resolution, battery backup enabled, wifi IP camera. It's just too easy... I mean it's weird to have so much hardware being used for just an IP camera, but money is money and used androids are CHEAP now.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I keep finding solutions online. Facebook just recommended a service to me, but it's oversized. Anyway, I took a quick look around and found this. Wireless IP Camera with Bight Vision. May need a motion detector, but it can detect activity thus, and instantly email a picture to you. About $155.

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Another vote for the raspberry PI, I have mine set up as a motion detection surveillance camera. You can use pretty much any webcam (some don't have Linux drivers). The software I use is "motion", lots of options to play with, you can mask areas, get it to email alerts, send files to FTP servers, have different capture rates for when motion is detected, etc. All pretty simple to set up. I didn't need a powered hub, but it depends on the webcam and what else is plugged in.
http://pingbin.com/2012/12/raspberry-pi-web-cam-server-motion/

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for your post, Markd77. I'm also looking for a home surveillance solution. I need to be able to use it across the internet when I'm out on the road for work. I want a system based on Linux, since it's free, stable and easy to use. I have some of these pan and scan units http://www.antel.cn/product_show.asp?CID1=347&CID2=349&ID=8276

I haven't picked a hardware platform yet, but I'll give RPI A close look.
I've been using Zoneminder for several years on servers. It works very well with older analog based capture cards (I have an 8 chip bt card) and usbcams but still needs some work to be stable with the newer IP based HD resolution devices. I also use Linux as the NAS for cameras like the SWNHD-820CAM HD IP camera that uses NFS to store vision files that can be viewed from a web browser.

A SWNHD-820CAM users capture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-kcr6uHO0g
IR view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz7GuGkhK04

A reduced resolution HD video motion capture I uploaded: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaspook/12367773363/?likes_hd=1

A montage view of Zoneminder NTSC cameras. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3722/12368671324_d52720502a_o_d.jpg

Last edited: