Who else has ever placed a component backward in designer only to find out to late

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So I create a custom component for an SD socket. Got the board all designed. Got it all transferred using toner method (after several tries). Finally everything looked beautiful. Everything seemed like all was going to work.

Got the board all etched. Probably the best results to date. I go to place the SD socket and find I placed it backward!!!!!:mad:

What I did not realize is that since it is surface mount I needed to design the component as it is mounted from the circuit side of a single sided PCB. :)

I doubt this board can be salvaged. It is already going to be hard enough soldering it as surface mount let alone trying to drill small holes and running wires through the holes.

I guess it could have been worse, It is just a small daughter board.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Next time you might wanna try printing it out and placing the components on paper first :)
I hope I don´t make the same mistake next month when I´ll be sending boards to fab for production :D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Next time you might wanna try printing it out and placing the components on paper first :)
I hope I don´t make the same mistake next month when I´ll be sending boards to fab for production :D
That is what I did. But I printed the mirror image so everything looked good. What I should have done was print the mirror of the mirror. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yep. I once made a PCB with a 2 x 22 gold plated edge connector and got all the data lines in reverse order. Had to cut the traces and jumper them.