Who believes in ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Good evening folks--

As we get closer to Halloween, I'm sure many of us are excited to put up decorations, put out candy, scare the kids, and so on. But we, as adults, rarely discuss the idea of the paranormal because it is illogical and unrealistic. However, some people firmly believe that there is something besides the physical world that sometimes intertwines with our daily lives.

First of all, I'm a skeptic. I do not believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, nor am I going to try to convince anyone else. I am a logical person and I often find the technology that modern "ghost hunters" use to be ridiculous, even hilarious. But I tell people, I try to keep an open mind. I find the unexplainable fascinating and exhilarating, and deep down I almost hope or wish that ghosts were real.

The reason I brought this up was because this evening I had the exciting experience of riding along with a (so-called) "professional paranormal investigator". He conducted an EVP session at a school, outside a lab where--legend has it--a professor got in a fight and was either murdered or committed suicide by crushing his head inside a vise. This sounds very odd, I know, and I agree--seems very unlikely. But I did hear some interesting EVPs. Once again, I can't say they were "messages from the other side" (I honestly don't believe in that sort of thing), but the voices did, indeed, appear to answer questions and fit the situation. It was very interesting, even for a skeptic who doesn't believe in ghosts.

So after the experience I had this evening, I was wondering--who here believes in ghosts, or at least tries to have an open mind on the subject? Just curious how you all feel about the subject.

Happy Halloween!
Matt

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have a slightly open mind on the subject, but so far I have seen durn little I would accept as proof. I tend to go with DerStrom on this one, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors and outright scams out there.

I did have one experience when I was a kid that suggests we don't know everything, but push comes to shove, I choose science. Real science by real scientists.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There are too many people watching the living dead shows and dressing up like

zombies ,there will be real people dying from all this stuff. People are going crazy

about the zombie stuff..

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
or committed suicide by crushing his head inside a vise. This sounds very odd,
More than odd, hard to achieve... Tightening the vise while your head is crushed. Not that I will try that!:p

But we, as adults, rarely discuss the idea of the paranormal because it is illogical and unrealistic. However, some people firmly believe that there is something besides the physical world that sometimes intertwines with our daily lives.

First of all, I'm a skeptic. I do not believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, nor am I going to try to convince anyone else. I am a logical person and I often find the technology that modern "ghost hunters" use to be ridiculous, even hilarious. But I tell people, I try to keep an open mind. I find the unexplainable fascinating and exhilarating, and deep down I almost hope or wish that ghosts were real.

The reason I brought this up was because this evening I had the exciting experience of riding along with a (so-called) "professional paranormal investigator". He conducted an EVP session at a school, outside a lab where--legend has it--a professor got in a fight and was either murdered or committed suicide by crushing his head inside a vise. This sounds very odd, I know, and I agree--seems very unlikely. But I did hear some interesting EVPs. Once again, I can't say they were "messages from the other side" (I honestly don't believe in that sort of thing), but the voices did, indeed, appear to answer questions and fit the situation. It was very interesting, even for a skeptic who doesn't believe in ghosts.

So after the experience I had this evening, I was wondering--who here believes in ghosts, or at least tries to have an open mind on the subject? Just curious how you all feel about the subject.
Matt
I had, jointly with my brothers, my share of experiences as a kid in the house located in the same building of the school were my father was the principal. The prevailing stories were pretty much in line with that of the vise user above. But what we had at home was different because we lived there.

Anyway, last year I visited the school and my former home after more than 50 years and was asked by people about things that occurred there and at the school. I decided to tell the minimum trying to minimize the whole thing. Honestly, I doubt myself of what I currently recall.

I have the feeling that people wants to see things.

Investigators? Bah...

I am sure there is a part of the reality we cannot, for any reason, perceive, but describing angels and telling things about them...? Too much BSHT.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Almost every lighthouse has a story of former keeper's ghost inhabiting the lighthouse.

I just finished a eBook ... Hammer: A Coast Guard Odessy ... where the current lighthouse keeper told the visiting technician that the ghost of a previous keeper "liked his work." The book is the story of a young man's journey from enlistment to discharge from the service. His time was in the middle 50s. The author was an Electronics Technician in the Service.

I found the human interaction described in the book was consistent with what I observed 20 years later, and some of it is still repeated these days, in various companies. It was a good read.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you believe in ghosts, ghosts can appear to you. If you believe in aliens, aliens can appear to you. If you believe in demons, demons can appear to you. If you believe in Bigfoot, Bigfoot can appear to you. Whatever the human mind can conjure and believe in can be provided.
The thing about that is what if you don't believe in those things, yet you see them anyway?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
If you really want to believe in ghosts or other supernatural beings, all you need is one, organized religion.....take your pick. ;)

That's why I got out of it.

Too unrealistic. :D

They sure are money makers though.:rolleyes:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you really want to believe in ghosts or other supernatural beings, all you need is one, organized religion.....take your pick. ;)

That's why I got out of it.

Too unrealistic. :D

They sure are money makers though.:rolleyes:
Let's avoid the religious discussions Metalmann, that's not what this topic is about.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've had experiences, shared experiences where myself and others all saw and heard the same thing, that likely could not be explained by accepted science. These were independent experiences, not looking for ghosts, and not in the presence of a trickster.

I am reluctant to say that I believe in "ghosts" because people have something in their head already when they hear that word, but I do believe that there's something "else" out there.

It irritates me that "ghosts" are so commercialized and every supposed attempt to legitimize them is actually a veiled attempt to undermine their legitimacy or scam someone. Nobody takes it seriously because everybody who is supposedly taking it seriously is making a mockery out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.