Whitch diode is D1 in MC2100ELS-18W-2Y board?

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Hi,
Could anyone tell me which diode is D1 on the MC2100ELS-18W-2Y board?
It burned out and I need to replace it but I can't read the part number.

IMG_20200531_151202.jpg

mc2100.png
Thanks so much

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Hard to tell. It could be the same part as D4, or it could be a totally different part. If it is indeed a regular diode (not sure of that), one ending with an 8 could be a 1N5408 3A diode, or it could be some other type of diode like a 22V zener, 1N4708.
Without a schematic or at least a partial drawing of the circuit where that diode is, we are all guessing...

PS: for a diode to go like that, that usually suggests some other component has gone short circuit and is drawing excessive current thru that diode. The diode is a symptom, the cause may well be elsewhere.

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Without a schematic or at least a partial drawing of the circuit where that diode is, we are all guessing...
Thanks for reply. I try to draw the scheme from the pcb.

PS: for a diode to go like that, that usually suggests some other component has gone short circuit and is drawing excessive current thru that diode. The diode is a symptom, the cause may well be elsewhere.
You are absolutely right, I replaced a schottky diode that was shorted (see attached picture).

shottky.png

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
I don't have much detail but this part of a reverse-engineered schematic shows them but unfortunately no part No.
It looks as though D1 has taken some current!
I believe the W8251 should be W6251
Also https://www.semicon.sanken-ele.co.jp/ctrl/en/product/category/AcDcConverter/detail/?product=STR-W6251D
Max.

View attachment 218159
Thanks for the info. The diode was damaged due to a short circuit (see my replay to sagor). You are right the converter is W6251.
I'll try with a 1N4007 that I have available...