Identify diode D1 in MC2100ELS-18W-2Y board

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Hi,
Could anyone tell me which diode is D1 on the MC2100ELS-18W-2Y board?
It burned out and I need to replace it but I can't read the part number.

IMG_20200531_151202.jpg

mc2100.png
Thanks so much

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Hard to tell. It could be the same part as D4, or it could be a totally different part. If it is indeed a regular diode (not sure of that), one ending with an 8 could be a 1N5408 3A diode, or it could be some other type of diode like a 22V zener, 1N4708.
Without a schematic or at least a partial drawing of the circuit where that diode is, we are all guessing...

PS: for a diode to go like that, that usually suggests some other component has gone short circuit and is drawing excessive current thru that diode. The diode is a symptom, the cause may well be elsewhere.

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Without a schematic or at least a partial drawing of the circuit where that diode is, we are all guessing...
Thanks for reply. I try to draw the scheme from the pcb.

PS: for a diode to go like that, that usually suggests some other component has gone short circuit and is drawing excessive current thru that diode. The diode is a symptom, the cause may well be elsewhere.
You are absolutely right, I replaced a schottky diode that was shorted (see attached picture).

shottky.png

massy71

Joined Sep 26, 2020
I don't have much detail but this part of a reverse-engineered schematic shows them but unfortunately no part No.
It looks as though D1 has taken some current!
I believe the W8251 should be W6251
Also https://www.semicon.sanken-ele.co.j...gory/AcDcConverter/detail/?product=STR-W6251D
Max.

View attachment 218159
Thanks for the info. The diode was damaged due to a short circuit (see my replay to sagor). You are right the converter is W6251.
I'll try with a 1N4007 that I have available...

techo2oz

Joined Nov 25, 2020
Thanks for reply. I try to draw the scheme from the pcb.

You are absolutely right, I replaced a schottky diode that was shorted (see attached picture).

View attachment 218162
G'day Massy,
I too appear to have the same fault. Searching for a circuit but so far no joy, but have identified that the same Schottky diode on my board is short. Did you replace anything else or did the replacement solve your issue?

techo2oz

Joined Nov 25, 2020
I have also desoldered the D1 on my board as it too has signs of heat stress but tests okay out of circuit. But I can identify the part. It is HER108G so a 1n4007 would be a suitable replacement

damien.koh

Joined Oct 29, 2022
I too, got the same issue and had the same exact diodes malfunctioning.

Can I get some help with the part numbers for D1 and D8?

Thanks!

damien.koh

Joined Oct 29, 2022
Just had a looked at D8 from the schematics. It looks different from mine.

I took them out. Part numbers are:
D8: sb560
D10: her108g

I can replace her108g with 1n4007.

But I can't seem to find a replacement for sb560 easily.