Which type of Relay to Use???

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Greetings to all Readers,

Here is a PCB and a Schematic of a Soft Start circuit board for Toroidal Transformers. I have managed to figure out all the components required to be soldered on this board except one thing i.e the relay.

If anybody can advise on which type/model of relay should i use on this board, i would deeply appreciate that. Many Thanks in Advance.

best regards,

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Discussions of line powered circuits without an isolation transformer are against the rules of this website. If you knew enough to be safe with this circuit you wouldn't need us to pick out a relay for you.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Lubnaan90,
You ARE planning to use a toroidal transformer at the output of this circuit, right?
You have to use a transformer to provide isolation from mains power in order to make the project safe.

Also, I think that this was designed with 120v 60hz mains power in mind. It will need changes for other mains voltages.

Last edited:

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Discussions of line powered circuits without an isolation transformer are against the rules of this website. If you knew enough to be safe with this circuit you wouldn't need us to pick out a relay for you.
I would Recommend you to learn something from SGTWOOKIE's reply, Look at how nicely he has explained. Your rude comment is not appreciable, Thanks anyways for making me aware that circuits without an isolation transformer are against the rules of this website.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Lubnaan90,
You ARE planning to use a toroidal transformer at the output of this circuit, right?
You have to use a transformer to provide isolation from mains power in order to make the project safe.

Also, I think that this was designed with 120v 60hz mains power in mind. It will need changes for other mains voltages.
Hello SgtWookie,
Thank you for your Reply. Adding an Isolation transformer has been taken into consideration.
What Changes would you advise me to make in this circuit for it to be compatible with 220v/50hz?
Best Regards,

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My guess would be that you need a DC relay some place below 40 volt. And that will be a 12 or 24 volt relay. BUT this is only educated guesses. I can have an answer for you tomorrow some time if not you have the answer by then.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Well... According to the website I assume you got the schematics from...

http://mitglied.multimania.de/Promitheus/delay_circuit_for_toroids.htm

It should be a 24V Relay rated for 8 A @ 250 VAC. Taking that into consideration you could look at the Omron G6RN-1 DC24.

One thing you need to do is find the data sheets for possible relays and ensure that the pin layout will fit the circuit board. Those relays can come in various sizes which can make it dificult to get a correct fit. I'd suggest printing out the pcb layout to size and measuring the pin distances, or layout your own board to the relay you get.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010

It should be a 24V Relay rated for 8 A @ 250 VAC. Taking that into consideration you could look at the Omron G6RN-1 DC24.

One thing you need to do is find the data sheets for possible relays and ensure that the pin layout will fit the circuit board. Those relays can come in various sizes which can make it dificult to get a correct fit. I'd suggest printing out the pcb layout to size and measuring the pin distances, or layout your own board to the relay you get.
Thank you BSomer, your reply is very helpful, it seems i will have to make some changes in the PCB to fit a 24 volt relay that is easily available here locally.

Last edited:

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Thank you BSomer, your reply is very helpful, it seems i will have to make some changes in the PCB to fit a 24 volt relay that is easily available here locally.
Omron G6RN124DC [RY210024 ] is available here, I checked it, it seems to fit Perfectly. Thanks you for your Recommendation, I deeply appreciate the same.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010

Omron G6RN124DC [RY210024 ] is available here, I checked it, it seems to fit Perfectly. Thanks you for your Recommendation, I deeply appreciate the same.