Which router?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So I finally decided to upgrade my old wired router. Buy.com had a nice deal on a N150 so I grabbed it. I did not do a whole lot of research.

I currently have DSL an I am not looking to upgrade to cable. I am considering ditching my DirectTV and going with all internet.

I noticed that D-Link offers several models above the N150. Twp have a Qos engine for video.

My question is will I get better performance out of one of the better models? Should I send this one back or just keep it and use it?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Depends on how many systems are on your network, and if you find the other systems are using up so much bandwidth your video is laggy.

Under 3-4 systems and a 3Mbit connection, QoS shouldn't be an issue.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
you should be ok with most any router however our isp is only 1 MB so i cant tell for sure my first router was a belkin it worked comparibly well till it started acting up when it got to about 1yrs old. so i replaced it with a netgear WNR2000 i know this has QOS on it but have not needed to use it. i beleve the wnr2000 is new $75-100 a got on referb for $25 on tiger. if your doing vidios i would stick to the better brands like linksys, netgear, D-link. after my experence with the belkin i am going to avoid belkin except for maybe cables.
also you could use internet conection sharing (ICS). if you have a desktop that you want to do the tv on a direct conection to the modem this would wook also then shre to another wired or wireless nic in the system. just make sure you have a decent amount of ram in the system.