Which Oscilloscope to buy?

bilalbajwa

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Guys i am a college student and thinking to buy a Digital Oscilloscope. I have a budget of $300 and i found these oscilloscopes interesting. I would really appreciate if someone would guide me in selecting the best among the following. I highly appreciate your help.

Atten Digital Oscilloscopes 40MHz ADS1042C
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200581177391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ATTEN ADS1022 DIGITAL STORAGE OSCILLOSCOPE 25MHz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320492007798&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

SIGLENT SDS1022C 25MHZ Digital Oscilloscope
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120691426434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

OWON Digital Oscilloscope PDS5022S 25 MHz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130493939041&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bilalbajwa

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for you reply. Sir, on Ebay , Rigol DS1052E is $379. I could spend that. I am curious to know whats the reason you suggested that manufacturer. Is it better than all i mentioned? Also what you think about the best one among the links i posted. I highly appreciate your time.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Thanks for you reply. Sir, on Ebay , Rigol DS1052E is $379. I could spend that. I am curious to know whats the reason you suggested that manufacturer. Is it better than all i mentioned? Also what you think about the best one among the links i posted. I highly appreciate your time.
Because it's interface is massively better (it's more responsive, it has multiple controls for timebase and volts/div as opposed to a single control, and it has FFT.) and because it's effectively a 100 MHz oscilloscope with a bandwidth hack (Google "Rigol hack".) It's also supremely well built compared to some of the cheaper ones; from what I've seen inside one, they use quality parts, so it's guaranteed to last you 5 or 10 years at least. It's very popular and Rigol have hit a winner.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
My most recent scope was new to me about 2 months ago. Got from ebay. Analog, used 100mhz. A bit beat up. $30. US. I picked it up to avoid shipping. One before that was $25 30 mhz hp from mit flea.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ham Cons also have scopes relatively cheap. I got one for $90 that works pretty well, dual trace 60Mhz with probes. Hams as a general class tend to be more honest than the average Joe, and will talk your leg off (goes with the territory).

bilalbajwa

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for all you responses. I just bought Combo Rigol Package i.e. Rigol Function Generator DG1022 and the Rigol 50 MHz Oscilloscope for $700 total. Waiting for them to arrive. I must emphasize the fact again that i am just an electrical engineering student in its final year. So, may be this equipment is an overkill for the jobs i am going to do with it. However, if i am spending the money and have a budget under or = 700 then why not to buy the Rigol instead of other cheap china substitutes. Many people mentioned that if you cant buy HP/agilent or tektronix that all cost >1000 The rigol is the only thing that will take me closer to it in quality and performance.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Thanks for all you responses. I just bought Combo Rigol Package i.e. Rigol Function Generator DG1022 and the Rigol 50 MHz Oscilloscope for $700 total. Waiting for them to arrive. I must emphasize the fact again that i am just an electrical engineering student in its final year. So, may be this equipment is an overkill for the jobs i am going to do with it. However, if i am spending the money and have a budget under or = 700 then why not to buy the Rigol instead of other cheap china substitutes. Many people mentioned that if you cant buy HP/agilent or tektronix that all cost >1000 The rigol is the only thing that will take me closer to it in quality and performance.
The Rigol is designed and made in China, but it is of very good quality - you will see that immediately upon popping the case off. Personally, I didn't have the money for the package, so I have an old HP 54501A digitising oscilloscope, but that does me well.

lkgan

Joined Dec 18, 2009
Bilalbajwa, where did you purchase the combo package? I just browse through the rigol official website, they did not state the promotion in their website.