Which LED-Display is meant and how does the pin connection look in detail?

Light_Dark

Joined Oct 8, 2020
Hello everyone,

currently I'm working on a Project, if you could say so. I want to show the temperature on a 4 Digit - 7 Segment Display. I'm forced by the teacher to use an adc for my temperature sensor. So i searched on the web and find out that the ICL7116 is helpful. The only thing i still don't understand, is which Display I should use for and how the pins (2 up to 19) are connected to the Display(because as you can see in the picture, they only wrote LCD Display and there are no specific pin connections named). If someone could send me a fitting display and how I should connect these Pins, I would be thankful. (Datasheet: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/ICL7116-ICL7117.pdf)ADC WITH BCD OUTPUT.png

Light_Dark

Joined Oct 8, 2020
Hello again,
thank you for all your contributions so far! As I've already said, in the beginning, I have to use a 7 Segment Display to illustrate the values. That's why the ICL7117 isn't anymore interesting to me. But as @bertus has mentioned, the ICL7107 is used for this application. Just to make it for me clear: If I Use three (common Anode) Seven Segment displays as usually with 8 pins per Segment, I can just wire them anlog to the Pins 2 up to 25 from the ICL7107?
(Because it goes there always from A to G three times)
ICL7107.png

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
Hello again,
thank you for all your contributions so far! As I've already said, in the beginning, I have to use a 7 Segment Display to illustrate the values. That's why the ICL7117 isn't anymore interesting to me. But as @bertus has mentioned, the ICL7107 is used for this application. Just to make it for me clear: If I Use three (common Anode) Seven Segment displays as usually with 8 pins per Segment, I can just wire them anlog to the Pins 2 up to 25 from the ICL7107?
(Because it goes there always from A to G three times)
View attachment 219160
You specified the ICL7116 in your original post, which is specifically for LCD displays. Now you are talking about using the 7107 which is for LED displays, as is the 7117! So which are you using? If using LED displays, you need a fourth digit to display the thousand i.e. 1or0 digit.

Sarah.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
LED / LCD - the confusion, which is why I asked what we're talking about. The information stated versus the information provided is in conflict. To be helpful we need to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

currently I'm working on a Project, if you could say so. I want to show the temperature on a 4 Digit - 7 Segment Display. I'm forced by the teacher to use an adc for my temperature sensor. So i searched on the web and find out that the ICL7116 is helpful. The only thing i still don't understand, is which Display I should use for and how the pins (2 up to 19) are connected to the Display(because as you can see in the picture, they only wrote LCD Display and there are no specific pin connections named). If someone could send me a fitting display and how I should connect these Pins, I would be thankful. (Datasheet: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/ICL7116-ICL7117.pdf)View attachment 219056
unless your instructor specified that you MUST use an LCD display, I’d recommend using an LED display instead. So you would need an ICL7117 to drive an LED display.

Light_Dark

Joined Oct 8, 2020
LED / LCD - the confusion, which is why I asked what we're talking about. The information stated versus the information provided is in conflict. To be helpful we need to be sure we're talking about the same thing.
I'm sorry for the confusion I caused. I didn't know that there was an existing version for a LED Display. But after @bertus told me that there is the ICL7107, that's the one I would like to go for. And as I looked it up, on my own, I found some Videos where it is possible to use the ICL7107 with three 7 Segment Displays where each of them is connected to the pins A-G (and that's why the ICL7107 is labelled with three "same" characters, for instance A1, A2 and A3, because each of them is designed for one Segment of one digit). So if I might be right I can order 3 single digit 7 Segment Displays and drive them by the ICL7107. That's the only question i still have. Please correct me, if I might be wrong.
(the circuit is used for something else, but what counts there is the Pin arrangement of the LED Displays. And that's the current status of how I would do it)
:)

Last edited: