Which is right size resistor

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hello
Have 6 volt battery , device call for 3volts at 350ma .
Could it be a 10ohms resistor at 25 watt or am I wrong.?
mrel

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
You don't mention what the device is.

If its current varies, there is no way for you to use a fixed resistor to get exactly 3V.

Can you consider the use of a 3.3V low dropout voltage regulator instead?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You don't mention what the device is.

If its current varies, there is no way for you to use a fixed resistor to get exactly 3V.

Can you consider the use of a 3.3V low dropout voltage regulator instead?
Perhaps a LM317 could do the job here.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hello
Have 6 volt battery , device call for 3volts at 350ma .
Could it be a 10ohms resistor at 25 watt or am I wrong.?
mrel

The 350mA is the Maximum current the device will draw, usually the average is less than that.

Trying to use a resistor voltage divider for power wouldn't work out too well.

As others have already stated, an LM317 or other regulator would be the way to go.

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Perhaps a LM317 could do the job here.
I am using 6 volts battery on a dc to dc conventer that need 3 volts at 350 MA so am I doing right thing using resister to drop the voltage from 6 volt to 3 volts and 350 MA
Is there better way to drop voltage from 6 volts dc to 3 dc volts at 350 MA?
mrel

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am using 6 volts battery on a dc to dc conventer that need 3 volts at 350 MA so am I doing right thing using resister to drop the voltage from 6 volt to 3 volts and 350 MA
Is there better way to drop voltage from 6 volts dc to 3 dc volts at 350 MA?
mrel
I agree with Bill's picture, worth a thousand words.

You could alternatively drop the 6v thru 4 diodes to get ~3.2v (exact value would depend on the diode choice). Not very elegant, but I suppose it would work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is meant to be an adjustable power supply, however, put a fixed resistor in there and it would work very well for your application. You could also build it as is and adjust it for the voltage you need.

For 3V a 180Ω in parallel with a 2.7KΩ (both being R2, 168Ω) would create 3.008 volts, ± the tolerance of the chip and the resistors.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's kind of a shame to use a linear regulator to step 6v down to 3v for use as an input to a DC-DC converter. The efficiency will be less than 50% due to the power dissipation in the regulator and R1/R2 divider.

There are some very interesting all-in-one IC packages available nowadays that are switching buck regulators; they just need caps on their inputs and outputs - and they're tiny. However, QFN and similar SMD/SMT packages are somewhat difficult for hobbyists to use; you almost have to make a PCB.

Just a couple of examples:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...r/FAN5362UC29X/?qs=l8TZ72NkpXmSWLFFmL%2bWeg==
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Enpirion/EP5352QI-T/?qs=AG1tZYOK7s50PQLZ9ZDk7A==

Happened to run across the VIPER16 family during a search; pretty interesting switching regulator in a 7-pin DIP package.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...IPER16HN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMthiYuEY6QoeRtlBkWtHgST
Kind of complex for a beginner to attempt using though.