takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
This is a highly competitive field.

Compare:
|TI MSP430G2xxx| Microchip PIC16LFxxxx
STOP |0.1μA|0.02μA
Standby|0.5μA|0.5μA
@1MHz|230μA @ 2.2V|170μA @ 3V
I run PICs with coils. It is easily possible to cover all frequencies between 50 Khz and 14 MHz.

I never saw any test results for the coil currents! Can anyone test this? I don't have the equipment here.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
As it happens just today I attended a seminar for Energy Micro who make a seemingly valid claim to be the lowest powered devices in the world.

Energy Micro Press Release said:
Energy Micro, the energy friendly microcontroller and radio company, announces that in an evaluation using IAR Systems’ tools, Energy Micro’s 32-bit EFM32 Gecko microcontroller has demonstrated the industry’s best CoreMark number for a device based on the feature-rich ARM Cortex-M3 core. The EFMTG840F32 achieved a score of 15.4 CoreMark/mA using IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM version 6.40, over 20 percent more efficient in active mode than even the Cortex-M0+ devices (a less powerful processor) recently launched by a major semiconductor company. The Embedded Microprocessor Benchmark Consortium (EEMBC), a non-profit organization founded in 1997, developed CoreMark processor benchmarking to enable real-world performance comparisons between different microcontrollers and processors.
The dev board they gave me even has a real time current monitor that integrates into their IDE so you can measure the current consumption of various routines.

The peripherals have something called a "reflex bus" where one perif can trigger another, such as a timer triggering an A2D, and the A2D can DMA to memory all while the processor core is sleeping.

And the core itself has 4 (or 5?) power levels, not just ON and OFF.