Which in this picture is the 0.1µF and 1µF radial?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think it's very common for a ceramic capacitor to be rated in the uF range--only nF and pF. What you need is a 1uF electrolytic, like the one shown below.
Der Strom
Just remember, you have two very experience people, one a tech and the other an retired engineer, telling you otherwise. I still have mine, they are dipped, not in a plastic case. Like I said, I have 4 case styles that are 1µF, some polarized, others not. To be blunt, what you stated is incorrect.

The number on the package are what is important. In this case they definitely say 1nF, which means it isn't a 1µF.

BUT, you can find a cap with 1µF that looks very similar to that. This is why it is important to understand markings, instead of going to a bin and hoping the parts you want are in there.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
AG, I know you know this already, this is for the OP. The number on caps like this would be 105.

10 00000 = 1000000pf (6 zeros) = 1µF

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Just remember, you have two very experience people, one a tech and the other an retired engineer, telling you otherwise. I still have mine, they are dipped, not in a plastic case. Like I said, I have 4 case styles that are 1µF, some polarized, others not. To be blunt, what you stated is incorrect.
I agree with Bill. The type of cap will differ with what kind of function you want your cap to work in. And also which voltage you will apply to it. I do not think the honorable Lightfire will use it in a high voltage application. But still I think showing/telling us more about the application. Will enable us to give better advice on which type to select. It could be that a cheap 1uF electrolyte type can be used instead of a more expensive film type.