Which Arduino model is the best??

azri

Joined Aug 22, 2013
hello all. I want to purchase an Arduino microcontroller for my Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), the link to my IMU is located below. As this is my first time using Arduino for my microprocessing chip, i was wondering what should i look out for to purchase the correct microprocessing chip.
number of input/output pins?
virtual memory space?
any more factors to consider?
anyone can help me on this??

This is the triple axis accelerometer/gyroscope/magnetometer im using:
http://www.sgbotic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1301

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
What are you using the IMU for? E.G. If it is in a aircraft then power consumption and weight are presumably critical. What other inputs/outputs do you need to have. They seem to have an Arduino library for the chip, check the memory space that it requires.

So, best to think through your requirements and then choose an Arduino to suit.

Just a quick aside, Arduino is a "platform" not a chip so a typical Arduino board includes USB, voltage regulation etc. If you want the absolute minimum you can by just an AVR chip with the Arduino bootloader installed (or install it yourself) and then only the peripherals that are necessary.

Last edited:

Alan brad

Joined Aug 29, 2013
[SIZE=-1]It is difficult to say, what is "the best". An ADK kit is on my midterm "to buy" list - if you are going to start, why not to try that immediately ?
[/SIZE]

lippy

Joined Jul 17, 2012
For starting with Arduino, the Uno is really simple to get up and running and it lends itself to prototyping, as you can easily jumper wires onto it.

Once you have your prototype working and are happy with it, it's very easy to transfer the project to a more 'permanent' platform like an Arduino Pro Mini.

If you're really ambitious, once you have everything working the way you want it, you could find the Eagle Cad files for the Arduino Pro Mini and use those as a starting point to design your own 'built-for-purpose' board which includes any external components that you would require.

Good luck!