Which 4017 to use?

ctwistedpair

Joined Jan 14, 2013
I'm building a 20 led flasher circuit with a 555 and a 4017. The schematics call for a 4017 bp, but I have 4017be. Are they the same? Interchangeable?
:confused:
I cant seem to find the difference on the data sheets.

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Carl

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
they are same, 4017 are identical function, 4017B can work with higher voltage (up to 18V), additional letters indicate features like package, temperature range, military spec etc. and may be manufacturer specific.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
So in theory all 555's are the same even though the letters on the ends are different? I too am curios as to how that is decided. Is the pin out for say a 555 industrial standardized and extra features are added and removed from the die? That would be great, because I have been buying a lot of different CMOS chips and a bunch of 74 series chips and that would definitely reduce the amount of different lines I had planned to add to my home lab inventory. I have been buying and separating each chip by main part number and further separating them numerically and alphabetically by the additional markings on the chips or literature. I didn't realize that that may not be necessary, so I have duplicates of some of the chips I have ordered off of Ebay and other locations. more thorough explanation or discussion of this would be great, please.

Wheelchair Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Depends on where the extra letters appear.

LM555 is different from LMC555. The LMC555 is low power CMOS.

In 74XX series, the middle letters make a huge difference. For example, 74LS00 is very different from 74HC00. Don't interchange the two.

Usually, letters at the end of the part refers to differences in packaging, temperature range, voltage etc. With microcontroller chips it could mean a world of a difference. Always double check the differences before using.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I always thought the "B" in the 40xx part designation meant that the outputs were 'buffered'. And without the "B" they were unbuffered. Although I think they are all the "B" version now days.