Where to start

onym

Joined Jan 2, 2012
I have just began working with circuitry and have some practical projects i'd like to
assemble. Where would be a good place to start researching electrical components and the like?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The manufacturer's datasheet is the best source of information no matter what device you are investigating.

hgmjr

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
The manufacturer's datasheet is the best source of information no matter what device you are investigating.

hgmjr
I agree, but for the beginner it is often not easy to understand this information. Onym, if you have found the datasheet for a component (this should not be too hard using google) and there remain questions, post the link to the datasheet here in this forum and people will probably soon help you.

Also, some manufacturers publish very good application notes that cover wide areas of electronics. They are not for the absolute beginner, but if you have read and understood the AAC e-book here on this site, you should understand most of them. If you tell us in what projects you are most interested, people might make some suggestions (I know a few good app notes for analog electronics, not so much for digital).

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
....but for the beginner it is often not easy to understand this information.
It is unfortunate that beginners are face with a daunting challenge when it comes to understanding datasheets. The information needed from a given datasheet is often obscured by a dizzying array of tables and graphs. Still manufacturing datasheets are the best place to turn to for operating limits for devices from passive resistors usually consisting of single pages to the more complicated ARM microcontrollers with datasheets approaching 1000 pages.

Like you suggested, there are a number of members here at AAC as well as other similar forums who will be more that happy to assist their fellow members with datasheet interpretation.

hgmjr