Where to get a ribbon Cable

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
I'm Working on a project involving a Portable DVD player. While removing The sensor i nicked the Ribbon Cable That transfers the info from the Eye to the MB.
I've been looking all over but cant find anywhere that sells the type i need.

Its Thin, 23pins, Half Inch Wide, and needs to be a minimum of 6 inches Long

The ones i keep finding are too Wide to fit in the Connector.

Tealc

Joined Jun 30, 2011
Sounds like the double density sort of ribbon cable they used to use on PATA ribbons for computers before SATA came along.

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
after some further digging around in the backroom, i found that the cable in a PS3 is the same size as i need. so that works well...

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I'm Working on a project involving a Portable DVD player. While removing The sensor i nicked the Ribbon Cable That transfers the info from the Eye to the MB.
I've been looking all over but cant find anywhere that sells the type i need.

Its Thin, 23pins, Half Inch Wide, and needs to be a minimum of 6 inches Long

The ones i keep finding are too Wide to fit in the Connector.

If you only nicked the cable, why not use tape to repair it? Or, cover the nick with some other insulator material?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
When you nicked the ribbon, how many conductors were affected.

The Hard way, is to run separate point - to - point wires to the respective posits behind the original ribbon connecters, or on the pcb itself at first available land upstream of the connector

I had to do this many many times for high end 35mm electronic cameras that were submitted with minor impact damage, that had severed some of the traces in their Kapton " flex circuits "
Factory replacement parts were <snip> expensive !!

Very delicate work sometimes, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...:D

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
i basically ruined about 5 conductors along the middle.,

the problem with trying to patch it is that the cable is thin and connects to the Eye which Moves back and forth to read the discs and only allows a very small area for this movement.

but as i said a ps3's dvd cable works so im going with that..