Where to find cheap transformers? 220v to 24/48v

mmocz

Joined Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

I am thinking about building some simple power supply units. I want to take 220v ac from the power socket and transform it to 24/48v ac, and then rectify to dc. But I can not find ANY ac-ac transformers on eBay or aliexpress. All I can find are assembled power supplies, but thats not what I want. What should I be looking for? I have spent a day looking for sth, but I must be looking for some wrong keywords.

Thanks!

mmocz

Joined Apr 26, 2017
I managed to find only a few transformers, but they cost around 20 USD. I would like to find those, which are in the cheap 1USD power supplies. :) Or some similar.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If $20 is high then about the only option is to seek out surplus equipment, probably older equip. as much of today's uses SMPS.
There is Antek for toroidal versions which can easily be modified, but they are above your price range.
Also the shipping on most of a suitable size will be ~ $20 to boot.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That EI power transformer search seems usable, thanks! But I still don't get how I can buy 1 AC-DC transformer power supply for a dollar and the cheapest transformer is for 20 USD? Because basically I want to make sth like this.
I'm guessing you didn't use the most obvious search criteria as " 24/48 transformer" being I came up with half a million hits with price ranges for ~$5 to several hundred dollars depending on size, type and quantity. :rolleyes:

mmocz

Joined Apr 26, 2017
Oh, silly me. Thanks for pointing that out. I didnt realize that these power supplies work first by rectifying AC to DC and only then they lower the voltage.

I have a slightly different question then. What is this block in the middle and under what name I can buy it?

mmocz

Joined Apr 26, 2017
I'm guessing you didn't use the most obvious search criteria as " 24/48 transformer" being I came up with half a million hits with price ranges for ~$5 to several hundred dollars depending on size, type and quantity. :rolleyes:
I am getting a lot of fully working power supplies, but I am just looking for one component, to make it myself to learn something. :) At least I hope I am getting the same results as you are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dissj1803mz6slz/Screenshot 2017-05-26 23.13.44.png?dl=0

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Oh, silly me. Thanks for pointing that out. I didnt realize that these power supplies work first by rectifying AC to DC and only then they lower the voltage.

I have a slightly different question then. What is this block in the middle and under what name I can buy it?
They are usually ferrite core transformers, often custom designed for a particular design.
You would need to look up some of the manufactures of semiconductors app notes aimed at SMPS supplies.
Such as Linear Technology etc.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

Not quite. We start with a high voltage AC which we "step down" (step down transformer) to a lower voltage AC and then we rectify that lower stepped down AC to DC. Transformers can be step down, step up, isolation as in 1 to 1 ratio and several other flavors but we are referring to a step down transformer in this case. Other power supplies use different techniques and designs but what you describe in your original post:

I am thinking about building some simple power supply units. I want to take 220v ac from the power socket and transform it to 24/48v ac, and then rectify to dc. But I can not find ANY ac-ac transformers on eBay or aliexpress. All I can find are assembled power supplies, but thats not what I want. What should I be looking for? I have spent a day looking for sth, but I must be looking for some wrong keywords.
That would be a step down transformer and the reduced or stepped down AC would then be rectified to DC. This is generally followed by some filtering.

Ron

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I managed to find only a few transformers, but they cost around 20 USD. I would like to find those, which are in the cheap 1USD power supplies. :) Or some similar.
If you are prepared to work at it then you could get a defunct microwave oven and rewind the transformer. There are lots of articles and videos on www on how to do this.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have discovered many times that, if something is available to buy ready made, that it will be more expensive to buy the parts than to buy the complete thing and then you have to add the cost of all your designs that didn't work.