Where to Earth A Dimmer?

Thazatoon

Joined Feb 17, 2009
I've got a 240V AC wall dimmer I'm using in-line to control a free standing lamp. The dimmer is wired to a 3 core UK plug at one end and a 3 core UK trailing socket at the other. The dimmer itself has L1 L2 and C terminals. I've only used the L1 and C terminals with the live wire. The neutral wire and earth wires aren't connected anywhere in the dimmer. Is this safe?

The dimmer has a metal plate fixed onto the dimming module but I haven't used it. Should I earth to this plate, or is it safe to leave the earth untouched and running directly from the plug to the trailing socket?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If it's possible for the active (live) lead to dislodge and come into contact with the exposed (?) metal plate then one would be advised to earth the plate. Is there any provision for this such as a screw or stud termination point?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
You would be well advised to leave this work to a qualified electrician rather than doing it yourself.

What dollar value can you place on your own or anyone else's life who might operate this unit?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It would be safer to earth the metal part of the dimmer. However, if you can't do it make sure the insulation of the wires is fine as not to cause accidental touching of the live wire on the metal parts.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I have no knowledge of electrical codes in the UK.

Here on the left side of the pond we are required to ground all exposed metal parts.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It sounds to me like someone attempted to connect a dimmer intended for use in the USA for use with the UK electrical system.

I have no idea if it's possible to do that safely, or if it will even work.