Where to buy components

crabpotter

Joined Jul 26, 2014
Hi, new here, just trying to get back into electronics, years back it was simple, just go to Radio Shack for parts, now not so much. When in NJ ten years ago, I found a local electronics and radio shop that carried components, etching kits for circuit boards etc., but I am no longer in NJ but now the Capital area of NY. Everything that has electronics in it is a world away from chips, resistors, capacitors and is so called "home electronics" Is the internet the only way these days? I sort of like going into a store and walking out with what I need, because we don't have good luck with delivery in my neck of the woods, (lost packages etc.) Once a package was delivered to my property that belonged to someone a mile and a half down the road! and one internet order my son made was supposedly sent four different times before it finally made it to our house, so I am a bit apprehensive about having to the internet/delivery thing. Suggestions?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I predominantly use DigiKey, and although I'm in Canada, I get next day delivery for $8.00 (over $200, free p/p).
They either use FEDex or UPS.
Very good service.
Some odd ball items I use FuturLec
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I start at Mouser - partly because of their good search tools - and fall back to Digikey or Newark if I need to. There's an old-school electronics shop still in town, and they can order anything from Newark for me so I don't have to pay freight. And they even have a few things in stock. On the downside, it's a bit depressing to visit them. All the blister-packaged items on the shelves are yellowed and crack with the slightest pressure. I feel like I'm in a museum.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Brick and Mortar "electronic component" stores are virtually all gone. The internet has taken over for obvious reasons..
Digikey/Newark/Mouser/Jameco/Online Components/Frys/RS/Farnell

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I buy from DigiKey almost exclusively. As others noted, some pieces are higher and some are lower. I find the lower prices predominate. And their shipping is reasonable. Buying from multiple suppliers, any savings are eaten up by duplicate shipping. My approach is to make a decision and keep to it.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
just make sure you get a tracking number.
You can get for free from most chinese ebay for larger orders, but some ship without, so ask before ordering.

then the mail man leaves a note, and you can collect it at the post office.
You also see it with 17track.net in the night before delivery, arriving at the loccal mail depot.

In the countryside you could track it that way for two days or so.

For instance G&C ship from Singapore, always with tracking for larger orders (on ebay).

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Jameco (online) is like what radio shack used to be many, many years ago, but much larger. Worth a look when you're searching for inexpensive parts.

Ken