Where to buy a 12 volt AC Motion Sensor (PIR) or can I buy the components?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
With something like this, you'd just put a 12V relay and where the lightbulb is in the wiring diagram, then hook the 12VAC supply to the to the relay's NO (Normally Open) contact so that when it operates the lights go on.

DocK

Joined Apr 7, 2022
Yes, that would be very good.
To make I understand the wiring sequence, I start with 12v AC, use a rectifier to convert to 12v DC, then connect to the PIR you suggest and then that output to a relay and to the NO side, connect to the landscape lighting?
Its STL110 not sure what the difference is.
Ebay 165420900286?
The Ebay 165420900286 you shared is for 120v. The one is shared is for 12v AC or DC.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
To make I understand the wiring sequence, I start with 12v AC, use a rectifier to convert to 12v DC, then connect to the PIR you suggest and then that output to a relay and to the NO side, connect to the landscape lighting?

The Ebay 165420900286 you shared is for 120v. The one is shared is for 12v AC or DC.
Yes, mostly In the wiring diagram for the PIR sensor they show light bulb, that's where the relay coil goes.

A rectifier won't be enough you will also need to filter the output. Though they call this thing a "rectifier" it has filtering too. Without that you will have odd behavior from the PIR sensor.

DocK

Joined Apr 7, 2022
Yes, mostly In the wiring diagram for the PIR sensor they show light bulb, that's where the relay coil goes.

A rectifier won't be enough you will also need to filter the output. Though they call this thing a "rectifier" it has filtering too. Without that you will have odd behavior from the PIR sensor.
I am drawing up a schematic with the rectifier in it to get your feedback.

DocK

Joined Apr 7, 2022
The wire coming from the PIR to the relay needs to go to the COMMON (pin 5) and then to the lights is 3 (NO).
Thanks Yaakov for the review. I made the adjustments. I have the 12VAC line coming into the relay on the pin 2. The amazon notes say pins 1 & 5 go together. Is pin 2 correct? Just double checking.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Forgot to attach the updated diagram.
No, here's the relay marked up. Pins 5 and 3 are for the 12VAC. When the coil is energized the switch moves in the direction of the dashed arrow closing the NO contacts.

The PIR sensor output needs to go to 7 and 8, the coil. When the PIR sensor is triggered it will power the coil and pul the contacts down closing the circuit to power the lights.

1650321108620.png

DocK

Joined Apr 7, 2022
No, here's the relay marked up. Pins 5 and 3 are for the 12VAC. When the coil is energized the switch moves in the direction of the dashed arrow closing the NO contacts.

The PIR sensor output needs to go to 7 and 8, the coil. When the PIR sensor is triggered it will power the coil and pul the contacts down closing the circuit to power the lights.

I think I made the adjustments. Diagram attached. I appreciate your patience.
Almost. The wire coming from the PIR to the relay needs to go to the COMMON (pin 5) and then to the lights is 3 (NO).
Here is the adjustment but I am confused. You mention that the PIR wires go to pins 7 and 8. Those energize the coil. I thought a 12vac positive wire would go to pin 5 the common. I added a wire from pin 3 to 5 per your suggestion. Which pin do I connect to the 12vac lighting circuit. I thought that was pin 3 (NO).

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I think I made the adjustments. Diagram attached. I appreciate your patience.

Here is the adjustment but I am confused. You mention that the PIR wires go to pins 7 and 8. Those energize the coil. I thought a 12vac positive wire would go to pin 5 the common. I added a wire from pin 3 to 5 per your suggestion. Which pin do I connect to the 12vac lighting circuit. I thought that was pin 3 (NO).
I'm sorry. We are just not communicarting. The dashed line was explanatory, not a connection.

Let me draw out the whole thing for you. (Please excuse the rush job)

1650358896486.png