Where is the carry-in used in a Sklansky adder (and other parallel prefix adders)

BrendaS

Joined Mar 24, 2021
I've found many papers on tree adders like Sklansky, Kogge-Stone etc. The drawings never show how a carry-in that is non-zero is consumed so that it propagates to the other stages. The grey and black cells don't show a carry-in. Does someone have a link that shows a drawing or explanation of where in the 3 stage parallel prefix architecture the carry- in is used besides the calculation of the first sum bit like this:
assign sum[0] = can ^ P[0];
Thank you!

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Sorry ,
my crystal ball is not functioning at the present :->
( I did not see that coming )

give us some links as to the docs your referring to please, so we can see the grey and black cells you refer to .

BrendaS

Joined Mar 24, 2021
Thank you for your reply. I’m looking at IEEE publications. If you have access, here are some titles:
Area Efficient Modified Booth Adder based on Sklansky Adder
PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS OF PARALLEL PREFIX ADDER FOR DATAPATH VLSI
A New Low-Power, Low-area, Parallel Prefix Sklansky Adder with Reduced Inter-Stage Connections Complexity
just searching for Sklansky will find many more.

If you don’t have access.. This is a link that has similar information but not as detailed. The drawings are the same. It also shows the grey and black cells.
https://www.ijrte.org/wp-content/uploads/papers/v7i5s4/E10920275S419.pdf

I’ve implemented several adders from the drawings and notice that a carry in of ‘1’will show a failure. Ive formally proved the designs so I know they are correct with carry in of ‘0’.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I don't know is easy answer,

What would a carry in of 1 mean ?
this would be adding one to the add would it not ?

also

Each bit is made of A + B + C
where C is the carry in from the previous bit,

So the lowest bit, does that not have a C input also ?

Good luck,