Where I can buy a analog oscilloscope online (Europe)

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hi all,

I am looking for an analog oscilloscope and I am doing it online. I know that today DSO are used (I have one) etc..
I know there are sites where I can buy also used, but I would like to avoid buying from ebay..

There is some dedicated online web site where I can look for ?
Any suggestion ?

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

thumb2

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Google for "surplus test equipment"

I can understand your reservations about buying a scope on eBay, but it can be done successfully. That's how I got my first scope. It was a Tektronix 7704a that was shipped 2000 miles and arrived in working condition.

I've bought scopes on eBay from local Sellers that had a pick up option.

I've also had some luck with people selling locally (do you have Craigslist?). I traded a Tek scope to someone in my area.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I still use analog scopes for RF phase/beam current monitors
Electronics is my hobby and I prefer to use analog scopes. DSO's are blind most of the time and if you don't have a pretty good idea of what you're looking at, or for, you can miss things.

I have an old 2GS/S HP scope that I get out every once in awhile to play with, but quickly put it away because it's just not very useful; only 2 channels, big, clunky, and noisy. I bought it for the logic analyzer and pods, but I do most of my debugging with a smaller 16 channel Tek plug-in. I have a 70 MHz DSO plug-in for my Tek scopes that I use occasionally; but for fun, not out of necessity...

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hi thank you for your infos. I am located in Spain.

I know that it would be used. The most important is that it should work right.
I would like to buy from a trusted seller (of course).

Thank you all!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
And that is exactly why the OP acknowledged that all DSOs would be used if bought today.
Stewarts of Reading usually aren't cheap. But I'd expect them to back up their prices if after sales service proved necessary.

Digital is all the craze and people are upgrading like crazy - sometimes you can pick up a CRO completely free or at least no more than scrap value.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I converted an old b/w tv set to a scope, ahh those were the days....
IIRC: one of the very early issues of Elektor had a project for a TV scope adapter.

Somewhere I've seen a project for a band IV/V spectrum analyser.

The vertical sawtooth was scaled to 0 -33V to drive the varicaps in the tuner and the AGC was sampled by a comparator that drives the video amplifier.

I have bought 2 scopes off ebay.

The first was bought as faulty with one channel working for £60.
Did most of what I needed at the time.

I eventually bought another fully working scope for £80 that was 100MHz and 2 working channels.
It has worked for a couple of years with no issues.

Buying second hand off ebay is OK if the scope works well.
If it doesn't there is no chance of returning it unless the seller is a business.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Blind to what, precisely?
Waveforms. A DSO spends most of it's time storing, processing, and displaying data. If a signal has noise, it can miss the main event. In a digital circuit, it can miss a glitch.

The same things can happen with analog scopes but to a lesser degree.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Blind to what, precisely?
The high end DSO models trigger modes can see just about anything in near real-time.
http://www.tek.com/document/application-note/real-time-versus-equivalent-time-sampling

DSO scopes use interpolation of the waveform that can effect the displayed signal near the edge of it's resolution. The result may not be a true representation of the original on lower cost models due to differences in input bandwidth, sampling rate, ADC resolution (typically 8 bits on low cost units), and processor speed. You see the same effect with a high frequency analog scope but usually the effect is more gradual due to the greater dynamic range and smoother high frequency roll-off.
http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/whitepapers/wp_interpolation_102203.pdf