Where can i find Info about Methods for washing of Electronics parts or circuits

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Cheaper when you know what's in it:
naphtha petroleum, light, hydrotreated 64742-49-0 <60
n-hexane 110-54-3 <8
Acetone 67-64-1 <35
Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 <35

Then again everything has doubled in price, all that high $$ oil from last year finally caught up with us in transporation, manufacture and the sheer fact that most stores have jacked their prices way up trying to keep afloat as people ramin (rightfully) worried about the economy.

Say what they may but unemployment and a truly messed up economic climate are going to exist for some years to come.

Common paint thinner at Home Depot, used to be $2.68 a gallon, now it's about $6

Wal-Mart is getting away with murder on a ton of things too, there are people that have the firm belief they're always the cheapest place to shop. Not so in many cases. At least they've slowed down on the deceptive advertising, all those "$2.79 - was $3.88" signs are fooling less and less people. If you look at the actual old shelf tag that's hidden behind those things you'll usually see it's been the same price (or cheaper) for months beforehand.
Once I saw an add of a house for sale in California for 5 dollars (circa mid 1800s). Those guys in the old west that used to sell the miracle bottles of wonders are still arround, now the are a bit more sophisticated. All big corporations are breaking the law and unjust eriching at the expense of people who do not think just act.
Wal-Mart is just trying to make money no matter what isn´t everyone doing that? False advertisment and the like is just normal in almost all societies.

Chrisoborski

Joined Oct 12, 2009
Sorry to dig this back up. I finally checked after a few days. But one question has still been in the back of my mind.

Does anyone know if electrolytic capacitors are a potential to being affected by water? Primarily if soaked under a few inches of water?

I haven't had any problems but was wondering if anyone can give some insight on potential problems of water or mild solvents from affecting capacitors.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Electrolytic's are pretty well sealed.

If any of the others have any chipping or damage to them, they would need to be replaced afterwards.

The larger electrolytic caps should probably be replaced anyway on a board from the landfill. Check for bulging and leakage.

Actually "dump-juice" could be mistaken for leakage.....eww..

Chrisoborski

Joined Oct 12, 2009
Electrolytic's are pretty well sealed.

If any of the others have any chipping or damage to them, they would need to be replaced afterwards.

The larger electrolytic caps should probably be replaced anyway on a board from the landfill. Check for bulging and leakage.

Actually "dump-juice" could be mistaken for leakage.....eww..
Yea that is pretty gross LOL

Thanks

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Some of the local PC stores around here will gladly give you the stuff they end up with when they upgrade someone's PC. There are also local recyclers that accept electronic waste and willl often sell you entire boxes of circuit boards for next to nothing.

Or you could do what I did one time. I knew I was going to be home ill for an extended period of time and decided I'd try to patch together some older PCs to give to those less fortunate. I put an ad in craigslist explaining what I was going to do and offered to take anyone's old PCs &/or parts off their hands. Next thing I knew I not only had tons of people writing wantng me to come take stuff off their hands but some would actually deliver me carloads of stuff that included things such as perfectly working 19" CRT monitors.

I wasn't laid up as long as I thought I'd be so now I've got to unload a whole room full of junk on to the next person. Most of it is of the P-III era but it gets older and newer than that.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Tektronix used to wash their customers' oscilloscopes with mild soap and water, at their service centers. Final rinse was with de-ionized water. Transformers were removed, first, and maybe a couple of other things.

Your drying temp is probably way too hot. Try something like an oven at 130 degF or less, for 24 hours or so.

You can find out more on the TekScopes discussion group site, at yahoogroups.com. Stan Griffiths, an ex-Tektronix guy, should still be a regular there. His book talks about it ("Oscilloscopes - Selecting and Restoring a Classic"). Always search the message archives, there, before asking anything.

There are also a lot of people who say they use regular household dishwasher machines to wash electronics.